Author Topic: Aviation related reading  (Read 241 times)

Offline thurian

• View Profile
Aviation related reading
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:07:40 am »
I'm not sure if there's enough subject matter to make this thread permanent but I love reading all things aviation related and am currently reading "ALOFT" by William Langewiesche. With the exception of one dull (no pun intended) chapter on weather, it's a fascinating insight into the world of aviation in general and commercial aviation in particular, well worth a read if you come across it in your library.
One of my favourites is "The Aviation Book" by Fia O Caoimh which was given to me as a present (after I'd given the missus heading, speed and altitude to the nearest bookstore  ;)) not a book you'll carry around but a work of art nonetheless.
Anybody got any recommendations?

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aviation related reading
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »
Any of Ernest Gann's classics:

Fate is the Hunter, Island in the Sky & The High and the Mighty are probably his best-known, the latter two having been made into movies with John Wayne.

Offline thurian

• View Profile
Re: Aviation related reading
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:19:46 pm »
Any of Ernest Gann's classics:

Fate is the Hunter, Island in the Sky & The High and the Mighty are probably his best-known, the latter two having been made into movies with John Wayne.

Thank ya kindly,  I'll definitely take a look, would John Wayne even fit into a cockpit? that's a really daft question cos he wasn't that big a bloke! but it does raise the question, were american cockpits built bigger than British cockpits?