Author Topic: Attempt to recover RAF WWII Spitfire from Donegal bog  (Read 985 times)

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
Attempt to recover RAF WWII Spitfire from Donegal bog
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:13:30 am »
From the BBC. Some background to the history of the pilot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13924720

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Re: Attempt to recover RAF WWII Spitfire from Donegal bog
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:52:47 pm »
It seems that the site has been cleared and everything recovered in the dig, taken away.Apart from the Army who were there to check the ordnance found, there seems to have been no input from this side of the border. I would have expected that at least one of the guns recovered would have been sent to the Air Corps Museum, Michael Whelan would glady accept one for display. I believe that there is a common heritage, it is a part of our history just as it is of NI.
Comments please.
Tony K

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:59:00 am »
I would have thought that it was too early to expect any donations from such a dig. I'm no expert in the matter but would have expected that everything would have been taken back for cleaning and cataloguing beofore any decisions on where and how it will be displayed.

While the BBC were involved, who was funding the recovery? Was it the RAF, the UK Government, the Beeb, a university or charity? The amount and condtion of the items recovered may also be a factor as to wether any items are displayed here.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:44:09 am »
Well ,yes I do appreciate that it is early days but has any arrangements been put in place for some of these salvaged parts. It happened in Neutral Ireland during the Emergency, the Army and Air Corps were at the site  but did not have any equipment to attempt a recovery, the pilot was interned so it is a major part of our heritage just as much as it is our neighbours.
During my hill walking days I visited many of the crash site around Ireland and over the years as I revisited those same sites I was seriously concerned that a lot of the sites were being cleared by persons unknown. I dont mean small items. In Donegal for instance at the site of two Liberators (crashed on the same day) engines and undercarriage legs have since disappeared. It would have required lifting equipment to remove them, the same at a site in Co Mayo.
A B17 crashed in Co Sligo, recently the four engines were recovered one of the engines went to the Ulster Transport Museum and another to Collins Barracks the other two are in Baldonnel in the Museum.
I wonder could the same happen to sunken ships around our coasts. Don't think so!
Tony K

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »
BBC reporting that they're fired a recovered gun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15652440