Author Topic: RAF 70SQN Disbanded 8/9/10  (Read 202 times)

Fouga

RAF 70SQN Disbanded 8/9/10
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »

Wednesday 8 September saw the stand down of LXX Squadron at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire. The historic Squadron has operated the Hercules C130Ks from RAF Lyneham for 35 years. A sad, yet celebrated day saw a full formal parade take place to mark the occasion, with a huge turnout from the Station watching on with pride. The men and women of RAF Lyneham stood proudly to attention as a Hercules C130K, a C17 and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster flew over the parade.

RAF Lyneham is tremendously proud of LXX Squadron’s achievements and is sad to see the stand down of this historic Squadron, but elated that it is planned to be reformed in 2014 as the first A400M Squadron.

Having operated in the air transport role for much of its history, LXX Squadron should be remembered as the first transport squadron to carry out an airlift of British Nationals, notably in the famous evacuation from the Afghanistan capital Kabul in 1928. Formed at South Farnborough on 22 April 1916, LXX Squadron’s remarkable life story has spanned every notable war, conflict or disaster since, providing essential aid and assistance where and when needed.

Squadron Leader Watson, a Flight Commander on LXX Squadron fondly reflected on his time flying on the Squadron: ‘Having flown the C130K for over a decade I have come to love the aircraft and, more importantly, the crews that operate her. The past 18 months of my career have been spent on LXX Sqn and I have come to admire the history, personnel and family spirit of the Squadron. Although LXX Sqn is standing down it will take forward its recent operational pedigree, through support to the Falkland Islands and both Op TELIC and Op HERRICK, where current Sqn members are still serving in a variety of command and support roles. LXX Sqn has been at the forefront of operations for over 90 years and remains true to its motto: ‘Usquam’ – ‘Anywhere’.

The parade saw Wing Commander Hough, Officer Commanding LXX Squadron, stand down the Squadron, handing the over Standard for safekeeping: ‘It is with great sadness that I stand Number LXX Squadron down, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Airbus A400M; planned to arrive in 2014. One of the oldest Squadrons in the Royal Air Force, Number LXX Sqn was formed in Farnborough on 22 April 1916 and was equipped with the newly-arrived Sopwith 1½ Strutter. Due to a shortage of capable fighters on the Western Front at the time, the Unit was soon sent to Fienvillers in France under the command of Major A. W. Tedder, latter Marshal of the Royal Air Force and 1st Baron. Once established as an overseas Sqn it remained so until 1 February 1975, coming to Royal Air Force Lyneham, which is where it now stands-down. An illustrious history with countless fascinating stories, it has been an incredible honour to have commanded such a fine Squadron through what has been a very challenging time; I wish the current members all the success in their many and look forward to welcoming the next Officer Commanding LXX Squadron in 2014, presumably at Royal Air Force Brize Norton.’