Author Topic: Sell Govt Jet - buy transport aircraft  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Sell Govt Jet - buy transport aircraft
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:14 pm »
The current issue of 'Flying In Ireland' carries a small article which states that the govt has no current plans to sell either of the govt jets. (Somebody must have raised a Dail question, I havent seen the full article yet)

To me it would make so much sense to sell one of the jets and purchase the likes of a CASA 235 or 295 in it's place. (I think a C130 would be ideal, but a CASA would be more appropriate given potential usage and experience re maintenance).

Such a transport aircraft could provide the DF's with the following -

- Transport capability

- Multi-Engine Training
i.e. allow multi-engine training for potential CASA Maritime pilots (and therefore free up the two current CASA's for patrols instead of training)

- Participation in foreign missions
 e.g. delivery of troops and supplies, and even (highlighted by the tragic events in Haiti) deliver humanitarian aid and Rescue teams to disaster zones.

I know this has been discussed here before, but if the possibility of selling one of the govt jets is even been considered, surely this is the time to push for a transport aircraft as its replacement.

Its only a pity the original AC Casa No '250' wasnt purchased outright when its lease expired in 1995, and used for transport and training duties. Apparently it was offered to the govt for c.$2 million (later sold to Chile for $5 million).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:30:57 pm by Silver »

Offline Lootenant Pigeon

• View Profile
Re: Sell Govt Jet - buy transport aircraft
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »

I totally agree.

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »
Would seem wise indeed :)
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline CK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:50:10 pm »
Best idea in a long time. Get rid of the gulfstream would make sense as it is the oldest.  :airforce_smiley:

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 06:10:24 pm »
To further develop my post I have come across an excellent soloution to our transport needs...

The current edition of 'AFM' has an excellent article about the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). 
The USCG started using CASA CN235's (same as the AC Maritime CN235's) in the last year or so. The article explains that their 235's have four 'palletised' internal suites which house all the euipment for maritime patrols. These suites can easily and quickly be removed to convert the aircraft into a transport aircraft with the capacity to carry the following -

- 40 battle-equipped troops, or
- 20 VIP seated persons, or
- c. 8 tons of supplies.

Now wouldnt that be a perfect solution for our needs?!

An extra maritime aircraft - the current two are not enough to patrol our eez zone - which can also double up as a Troop Transport, VIP or Goods Transport aircraft at short notice?!

Offline heligaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:11:16 pm »
Good point Silver, but i couldn't see any of the ministers volunteering to fly in the CASA, i'm sure they would refuse when they see the propellers even though theres nothing wrong with propeller aircraft. Don't get me wrong i like propeller aircraft just as equally as any other aircraft.

Offline Stanly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:05:04 pm »
Good point Silver, but i couldn't see any of the ministers volunteering to fly in the CASA, i'm sure they would refuse when they see the propellers even though theres nothing wrong with propeller aircraft. Don't get me wrong i like propeller aircraft just as equally as any other aircraft.

Surely the mission is to provide transport - how many of our would elected representatives would know the difference........... ::)

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:31:18 pm »
Quote from: Stanly
 even though theres nothing wrong with propeller aircraft. Don't get me wrong i like propeller aircraft just as equally as any other aircraft.

/quote

Quite right Stanly flying has never been the same since they took away the propellers and replaced them with those nasty flame spitting, noisy smoking things :stirthepot:
Tony K

Offline corsair

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:47:03 am »
Get rid of the government jets and sign up with Netjets or similar. One phone call and an appropriate sized aircraft is waiting for you at your local airport. Cheaper and more flexible. Not so good for the Air Corps crews but better for the country.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:13:43 pm »
Get rid of the government jets and sign up with Netjets or similar. One phone call and an appropriate sized aircraft is waiting for you at your local airport. Cheaper and more flexible. Not so good for the Air Corps crews but better for the country.

Good suggestion corsair!
As a matter of interest, how would costs compare 'per hour' compared with the current set-up?
Any links re costs?

Offline corsair

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:38:38 am »
It would be hard to narrow it down as there are a number of methods and there would be serious competition to get the contract. The government could negotiate a very good deal indeed.