Author Topic: 'SF' daubed on RAF helicopter  (Read 876 times)

Offline sledger

• View Profile
'SF' daubed on RAF helicopter
« on: March 18, 2004, 06:46:54 pm »
Irish News
By Valerie Robinson

AN investigation has been launched into the discovery of the letters 'SF' daubed with clay on an RAF helicopter at the Baldonnel facility in Dublin.

Similar graffiti was also discovered a fortnight ago at Casement Aerodrome in the Air Corps base.

The RAF Puma helicopter had been on a training exercise in the Republic when the incident took place.

It is believed that the letters refer to Sinn Fein - a source of intense embarassment for the state's Department of Defence and army chiefs.

The commanding officer of the Air Corps, Brigadier Ralph James, ordered military police to investigate the matter and discover the identity of those responsible.

It is understood that the authorities are concerned that similiar incidents could happen in the state in the run-up to the controversial planned visit in June to the Republic by US president George Bush.

A three-man RAF helicopter crew had arrived in the Republic earlier this month to take part in exercises aimed at familiarising British pilots with Irish airspace and airports in the event of an emergency.

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 11:35:10 am »
Hey Sledger, thanks for that. When I was in the 'Don (here we go again!) Sinn fein/IRA were the 'enemy', They had murdered Civilians and Gardai and their spin offs had murdered Civilians, Soldiers and Gardai, have things changed that much over there? If someone supports SF/IRA surely they're in the wrong place?

Offline cygnet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 11:48:10 am »
JK - surely if someone even though they are a member of the defence forces want to compl;ain or protest they are entitled to : possibly this was the wrong way and they may now lose their job - but Sinn Fein are a legitimate political party both north and south - members of the forces are after all civillians in uniform !!!!
DS

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:49:19 pm »
Yeah, point taken, Cygnet. I remember during my time there I came across one or two 'sympathisers' who left me in no doubt that they hadn't forgotten what the British did, though it would have been quite a few years before they had been born! So how could they remember? Look at the troubled time other parts of Europe have been through, most of that has been cast to history, as long as someone else takes the blame the problem won't go away! I also remember there used to be a swastika daubed on the wall of tech wing block, that doesn't mean the 'Don was full of Nazis either! Best wishes, JK