Author Topic: Parachute training for pilots  (Read 566 times)

Offline Viper

• View Profile
Parachute training for pilots
« on: June 13, 2008, 10:57:10 pm »
I always wondered about this one... do Air Corps pilots, nay pilots of any air arm for those who might know, undertake any sort of parachute training in terms of escape from a/c in distress? What type of parachute is in the seat of the Martin Baker's in the PC-9, and if a pilot did have to eject, are they able to control the parachute in any way after separating from the seat?

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
Re: Parachute training for pilots
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:35:51 pm »
There was an AW139 operating out of the Curragh on Thursday 12/06/2008 doing a number of parachute drops in the early evening. Had a total of eight parachutists on board and was dropping them in groups of four on one jump, then all eight on the next. Don't know how many jumps in total were carried out. The AW139 went IFR through the cloud to get sufficient altitude to get to jump height. Was possibly Rangers doing the jumps and not pilots but can't say for sure. Interesting to watch though.

Blue Monday.

Offline AirmanJack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:43:24 pm »
Does anybody know from sort of height the skydiving takes place from in the helicopters / casa. What height do you need oxygen from?

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:19:52 pm »
The Martin Baker seat fitted to the PC9 has a standard 3 coloured (khaki, orange and white) round parachute, which has some control by pulling on either strap. Don't know how effective this is but all the war films show very little steerage. As for jump training as far as I know the pilots do Survival training every now and then.

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:16:36 pm »
Don't know about pilots, but backseat visitors overhere just got handed a chute. Here it is, sit on it. Nothing about how to handle it or what to do in case of an emergency.
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline Taj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:35:10 pm »
I wear a bale out rig for work(flying skydivers). I have never actually done a solo skydive despite flying for a skydiving company. I did receive training in how to operate the parachute if I ever need it. There's not much involved really. Bale out canopies tend to have a big surface area and are quite slow by parachute standards. Pull the left toggle to go left, pull the right toggle to go right. Pull both toggles to flare. Feet together and bend the knees and always land into wind. Thats about as much as you need to know.
As Claudel said, the MB rig is round so it's directional capabilities are quite limited. You pretty much go where the wind takes you. These canopies are very slow in terms of forward and downward speed. Remember there is a high chance that any ejectee will be unconscious, and the type of parachute used must refect this.
Airman Jack, supplementary Oxygen is required by aircrew flying above 10k. AFAIK skydivers going to 15k and above must breath pure Oxygen before exit.
On an aside folks, haven't been on here in a while. Have been flying  skydiving ops on the first GA8 Airvan to be operated in this country. 60 hours on it now. What a piece of kit. Tailor made Cessna replacement.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:37:25 pm by Taj »

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 03:32:22 pm »
Thanks for the information guys. Suppose the keep it simple principal is the best bet in this situations...