Author Topic: Alouette retirement  (Read 2613 times)

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Alouette retirement
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 10:25:51 pm »
I'd have liked to have made it over for the retirement, but I was just coming to the end of a course.
Papa 242, that was a good post, it made me reminisce! I remember you guiding me (and the others) on our GP crewman course.

Bashing Jim Durkin on the head with the left wheel while we were practising underslung loads practice! Well the pilot couldn't see what was going on to his left! Jeez, if only they knew they were pawns in our little games! "Left 2, Left 1, Steady Steady, Fwd 1, (smack!)

Doing a border duty in Monaghan with Damien on his first duty after a 'grounding' for one of his exploits. He scared the life out of me nosing over from a 2000ft hover, the tail went over the top and we only had about 200ft left by the time we pulled out of the dive!

A couple of years later, being more experienced, guiding trainee pilots onto the top of Slieve League, on west coast of Donegal. Getting the "Clear to open" 200 yards out with 2000 odd feet of nothing between me and the Atlantic and just a small patch of grass to plonk the wheels onto!

One of the previous postings said they were proud of the SAR Crewmen and I can't agree more. Listening to their exploits when they'd return from a mission, having a cup of tea with John Keane when he suddenly realised he hadn't washed his hands after lifting a decaying body from the sea! well that made me laugh! SAR Crew were the real heroes of Heli Sqn!

The photos were great, Frank, as always. And it's always good to see the Air Corps in the forefront of modern Helicopter operations as the new machines show.

Fouga

Alouette retirement
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 10:31:50 pm »
Quote (John K @ 01 Oct. 2007,13:25)
SAR Crew were the real heroes of Heli Sqn!

Here here! Go Mairidis Beo! 'applause'

Offline 202

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 01:31:47 am »
Michael B, there was a TV crew from TV 3 there, not sure  what footage was actually broadcast. As a previous poster said there were letters from An tUachtarain and An Taoiseach prominently displayed at the event. In addition some weeks earlier an AIII had been assigned a MATs tasking, the last to be undertaken by an AIII. By sheer coincidence the Minister in question was Minister O'Cuiv whose grandfather President De Valera had been one of the first Irish public representatives to fly in an AIII in 1964. The Minister posed for some pictures with the crew. These pictures were also on display on the occasion and are now part of the Air Corps archive.

Offline clan

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 08:52:58 am »
Quote (202 @ 01 Oct. 2007,16:31)
Michael B, there was a TV crew from TV 3 there, not sure  what footage was actually broadcast. As a previous poster said there were letters from An tUachtarain and An Taoiseach prominently displayed at the event. In addition some weeks earlier an AIII had been assigned a MATs tasking, the last to be undertaken by an AIII. By sheer coincidence the Minister in question was Minister O'Cuiv whose grandfather President De Valera had been one of the first Irish public representatives to fly in an AIII in 1964. The Minister posed for some pictures with the crew. These pictures were also on display on the occasion and are now part of the Air Corps archive.

There was quite an extensive bit on TV3 News, with interviews with new and Old pilots, aerial shots and shots from inside the hanger and aircraft.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 12:09:28 pm »
Did anyone notice this comment from O'Dea's speech in the link posted by Short Finals"A further two AW139 utility helicopters will arrive later this year and the final pair are due to be delivered in 2008."

Just shows how up to date the Minister is with his information !!!

Offline pym

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 03:18:21 pm »
Quote (Flyboy @ 03 Oct. 2007,03:09)
Did anyone notice this comment from O'Dea's speech in the link posted by Short Finals"A further two AW139 utility helicopters will arrive later this year and the final pair are due to be delivered in 2008."

Just shows how up to date the Minister is with his information !!!

Ah wouldn't it be wonderful if there's been a miscommunication of epic proportions and there are another 4 AW139's on the way  'pilot_laugh'

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 03:55:58 pm »
It's a Special Offer ...... Buy 6 Get 2 Free  'applause'