Author Topic: IAC Avro Cadet article in "Aeroplane".  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
IAC Avro Cadet article in "Aeroplane".
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:37:12 pm »
The April 2009 edition of "Aeroplane" has an article on the Avro Cadet purchased recently by the Air Corps. It has some interesting details on the history of this airframe before it arrived back in Ireland.

BM.  :ireland:

Offline Gnat

• View Profile
Re: IAC Avro Cadet article in "Aeroplane".
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:03:48 pm »
Havent seen it yet, article any good, any good photos.
Gnat
(I Sting)

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:20:42 pm »
Gnat, the article is good and the photos are a mix of modern and old stuff. I think the old photos have probably been published before. I think Joe Maxwell's new book will have plenty of exclusive stuff on the Cadet and all the other Air Corps types.

BM.
 :ireland:

Offline Tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:30:38 pm »
A bit disappointing I thought, no information about putting it together after delivery; if/how it will be kept flyable; who will fly it or be rated on it; expected annual flying hours and costs etc.  But that said well done Donal for getting it into the magazine!

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »
Hi,
A few points!
Avro 631 Cadet no 7 did not arrive at Baldonnel in crates in 2007, it came in a container ( I was present when the container was opened and the Cadet removed)
70 years earlier it did NOT arrive under its own power.
The Cadet did not go to Tipperary farmer Albert Clarke in 1945 but a couple of years later, therefore the nose down incident did not occur in 1946.
The two people beside the Cadet are Stan Smith (the engineer and not Jim Schmidt the former owner) and Brig Gen Ralph James GOC Air Corps (what a boo boo)
Cadet 5 was not the aircraft involved in the tree incident
Regarding the camouflaged Cadet picture, how do we know it is 7 as there is no serial carried.
Still think it is a good article BM ? and I think in fairness to Pat Cummins, he is also as I understand ,very involved with Joe Maxwell in the book.
Tony K

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:30:43 pm »
Apologies to Patrick Cummins. Yes he is involved in the new book along with Joe Maxwell, as far as I know.

Do I think it is still a good article? Well, yes. I am not an expert on the Air Corps or Irish aviation, just a humble aviation enthusiast, but it is always good when any magazine publishes something on Irish aviation. That particular article may have some inaccuracies and they can be thrashed out on forums like this one.

BM.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:51:49 pm »
 but it is always good when any magazine publishes something on Irish aviation. That particular article may have some inaccuracies and they can be thrashed out on forums like this one.
BM.
[/quote]

That is a valid point BM and "Aeroplane" has been generous over the years to matters Irish aviation. The magazine is an authoritative publication of mostly historical aviation. The author of the article claims in his book blurbs that he is a "military and aviation historian" I do not find any evidence of even the most basic research undertaken in the said article.The points I raised are only a part of the inaccuracies but could have been avoided had the basic amount of research been undertaken. I expect a little more for my six euro and this is not a reflection on the magazine. :(
Tony K

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:10:52 am »
I agree that it's great to see Irish aviation articles in print...but I would have thought that 'Aeroplane. would have been a bit more 'authorative' when it comes to said articles.

When is Joe Maxwell's book expected to be available btw?

Re Avro C7 - it's great that she is back home in Ireland!
With the current economic clmate, I'd say we were lucky to get her 'just in time' !

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 05:13:00 pm »
I believe the book from Joe Maxwell and Patrick Cummins might be available in mid-May. This is not confirmed but the hoped-for release date. From what I know of the work that has gone into this book, it will be spectacular. When I hear more and Joe has a definite release date, I'll post it here.

BM.