Author Topic: DH Vampire Reunion  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
DH Vampire Reunion
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »
A reunion of all personnel who were involved in the operation and maintenance of the DH Vampire T55 in Air Corps service between 1956 and 1976 will take place on June 3 2010 at Casement Aerodrome. The programme will include a history of the aircraft in service with the Air Corps and a static display of Vampire paraphernalia and photographs
It is hoped that a serviceable Vampire with the Museum Vampire191 will be on display subject to weather and operational constraints.
The reunion is being organised with the kind permission of the GOC Air Corps and with the generous support of City Jet. If you have flown and worked on the Vampire and would like to receive an invitation to attend the reunion contact Louise Mc Enerney by e mail at   vampirereunion@gmail.com or by phone at 01 8700111.

.....................................................................................
Vampire 186 just after arriving at Baldonnel 20 july 1956

Offline IAS

• View Profile
    • www.geocities.ws/irisharmoredvehicles/
Re: DH Vampire Reunion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:12:43 pm »
Just heard the glorious sound of the Goblin engine, and saw that beautiful twin-boom layout, as the Vampire flew over South Dublin, brought me back to my childhood. :smile:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:17:58 pm by IAS »

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:43:25 am »
Arrived today from the UK about quarter past four. Saw a lot of lads with camera's and will have mine tomorrow. It's doing a fly around sometime tomorrow so it will be worth hanging around.

It was great to see and still the sound is sweet. They were just out of service when I went up camp.

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:40:08 pm »
Some photos taken this morning.

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »
Some more pics taken this morning

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:42:31 pm »
Last one!

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »
 Are yessssss!!!!!!! Just heard and see the glorious Vampire on a down wind leg to Bal (15.00 hrs) :airforce_laugh:, and the sound of the Goblin engine just wow!!!!,

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
Just thought that I would add a few pics taken on the day at Baldonnel to supplement Claudel's excellent input.
Pic1 On left on steps is Brig Gen JB O'Connor with Capt. Ronnie McPartland and standing in front is Capt Declan Whelan who delivered Vampire 187 on 20 July 1956. Capt Mc Partland as a cadet was the first and only Air Corps pilot to have to eject from an Air Corps aircraft. After ejecting from Vampire 186 Comdt. (as he was then) O Connor was able to recover from the spin and landed safely at Baldonnel.

Pic2 Is former F/Sgt Paddy O Meara remembering when he was looking after the Vampires. Paddy is Chairman of the Roger Casement Branch of the ONE.

Pic 3 A scene not seen for some time "lighting" up the Goblin.