Author Topic: FlyingInIreland Magazine - October 2005  (Read 742 times)

Offline markd

• View Profile
    • http://www.flyinginireland.com
FlyingInIreland Magazine - October 2005
« on: September 20, 2005, 03:59:22 pm »
Hi guys,

The October Issue of the magazine will be on sale from this Saturday September 24th.

Contents:
Spitfire 161 Returns to Ireland
Limetree Airfield, Portarlington
Birr Fly-In Review 2005
Boeing 777-200LR Flight Testing at Shannon
How it Works: Weather Radar
PSO Air Routes Part 2
The Iona Story Part 3
Book Review
Aircraft Register
News
NAGAI Update
Spitfire Competition
Centre Page Photo Spread

For more information take a look at www.flyinginireland.com/mag.htm

Regards,
Mark Dwyer
Technical Editor
FlyingInIreland Magazine
www.flyinginireland.com/mag.htm

Offline markd

• View Profile
    • http://www.flyinginireland.com
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 02:45:30 pm »
Hi guys,

Did anyone get a chance to look at this months magazine? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 08:16:23 pm »
Mark,
The Spitfire on the cover obviously attracted the attention of the  customers in Easons O'Connell St. as there was only one copy left on Saturday afternoon. My experience would be that a magazine either Irish or otherwise will attract the public when there is a photo of an Irish aircraft on the cover, but it tends to be when of a historic military type. I am not sure just which market you are aiming for so it may not suit. I am not keen on articles overprinted on photographs. FlyPast in UK does this and I find it irritating, but that is just me perhaps an age thing! Photo captions are important and should be as informative as possible giving details of type, location, date etc. Spitfire article enjoyable ,pictures great, but as I mentioned elsewhere it was not the first time back in Ireland in 40 years. It was at the Ards airshow in May. That's my rant at an end, you did ask and hope that there is no offence taken as none intended.
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 01:13:54 am »
Hi there
Tony, the overprinting thing is a right pain.All it takes is the printer to mismatch the colours and the text is unreadable.As for the Spit's visit to Norn Iron, well, I'd mark that down as a non-first given that the aircraft never left the UK's political or aeronautical juristiction.Also, given that the Spit's historical association is with the Air Arm of the Free State and that it really has no connection with the North's history in any shape or form.I would regard the visit to the Republic (and only four miles from it's old haunt) as it's first "real" visit home. If ever there was a place for that aircraft, it's on the Don's ramp.
Regards
GttC

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 08:18:49 pm »
Hi GttC,
Don't think the Tyrone and Down football teams would agree nor indeed the President who is also Commander in Chief of the Defence Forces. The name of the country is Ireland under the 1937 constitution replacing the Irish Free State. A republic was declared in 1949 but the term Irish Republic is not an official name. I still maintain that 161 was in Ireland in May. By the way I have no problem with the use of the term  Northern Ireland.
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 11:42:45 am »
Hi Tony
I am not going to disagree that "161" was physically on the island last May. Of course not.My point is that it's visit to the North, whilst being of great interest to the locals, had no "value" for want of another word, to us in the South. 161's spiritual home, if you like, is Baldonnel, not the North. Also, some people up North would take issue with an aircraft bearing the colours of the Irish Free State, as it then was. I know, also, that it's visit to Weston had a huge impact in terms of visibility, access, photo opportunity,etc. for people rather than a visit to an airfield 90-odd miles away, across an international border, in someone else's jurisdiction. With all due respect to the people up North, they haven't got the same emotional attachment to 161 as we in the South do.
regards
GttC