Author Topic: Making one of the Fougas airworthy again?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Making one of the Fougas airworthy again?
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:47:11 pm »
What would be involved in making one of the Fougas airworthy again?

I saw a photo earlier of '220' flying over Bal' during the 75th anniversary celebrations (1997), and just thought how great it would be to see one of the Fougas flying again at future airshows!

We often see aircraft in far worse shape than the Fougas being restored, so I'm wondering would it be possible for, say a team from the AC museum to make one airworthy again as a solo display aircraft?

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
Re: Making one of the Fougas airworthy again?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:33:02 pm »
Well, you would look at which one is in the best condition. Preferably one that has spend its retirement inside. Then you'll need to find Marboré engines who have enough hours left and find someone to service or overhaul them as they aren't supported anymore by Turbomeca. The airframe would need at least a 200 hours inspection. Expect to replace a lot of seals. All in all not impossible but it would take lots of money.

edit: Keep it military registered, that way you're not bound by the civil aviation paperwork crap.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:36:35 pm by Fouga23 »
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline Gnat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:14 pm »
What would be involved in making one of the Fougas airworthy again?

I saw a photo earlier of '220' flying over Bal' during the 75th anniversary celebrations (1997), and just thought how great it would be to see one of the Fougas flying again at future airshows!

We often see aircraft in far worse shape than the Fougas being restored, so I'm wondering would it be possible for, say a team from the AC museum to make one airworthy again as a solo display aircraft?

I do believe that you have a recession down there South, I believe it will be hard enough to get the Cadet in the air again let alone a Fouga.
Gnat
(I sting)

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:24:51 pm »
on Maastricht airport ( Netherlands ) there's a foundation who has 3 CM-170's flying around.

I would say....  contact them and maybe they'll get an IAC Fouga airworthy.

Best of luck.

PS ,
Silver / Fouga... in for a pint ?
Guinness is good for you

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:52:32 pm »
Guinness, They only have 1 Fouga flying. The others are sold.
I'm out for a pint, sorry.
www.fougamagister.be

Offline Tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:14:24 pm »
It's a great idea, but wouldn't it have been easier to have kept one in flying condition in the first place?

But I do think this shows the necessity of the AC Museum getting to the stage that it can open to the public, at least at weekends.  The revenue generated can be used for restoration purposes, or there can be separate restoration appeals which visitors can make additional contributions to. 

I haven't visited the museum, so do not know what size it is or the scope or potential of it, or what sort of investment might be required to get it to 'Open to All' condition.  It would be a shame if it couldn't be done sooner rather then later. 

I'm lucky to now be living within a commute of a number of aviation museums (Tangmere, FAST Farnborough, Southampton, Brooklands), and they all seem to do okay, and have the resources to have ongoing restoration projects.  Do others think the great Irish public would pay in sufficient numbers to visit their AC museum?

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 07:11:56 pm »
There is no charge for admission to State museums in Ireland, nor should there be, since they have been funded from the public purse.  Similarly, I don't think that if the Air Corps Museum were opened to the general public it should be on a charging basis.  Voluntary donations, yes, but entrance charges will just deter visitors.

Offline dinger dwyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:26:10 pm »
im sure a lot of old Fighter Sqdn crew -(and me aswell!!) would be happy to give time and whatever it takes to to get a fouga airbourn again. also there was one in Toughers in nass/newbridge, I dont know what the final outcome was but he was trying to get it in the air some years ago. :devil:
dinger

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:46:07 pm »
Dinger,

Did you see one there yourself & if so was it averall blue ?

Joe

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:22:55 pm »
That would be the ex-Finnish one then?
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1033362/
Did it ever fly in Ireland?
www.fougamagister.be

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:30:46 pm »
Suspect that's the one Dinger is thinking of, the ex Gerry Connolly machine. Dont know if it ever flew in Ireland.

Joe

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »
Suspect that's the one Dinger is thinking of, the ex Gerry Connolly machine. Dont know if it ever flew in Ireland.

Joe

It did, Joe.  I remember one occasion at Dublin when it was at the holding point with an Air France 747 behind; the 747 crew literally overlooked the Fouga in front of them and were going to line up, until the Fouga reminded them of his presence!

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:37:25 pm »

Joe

It did, Joe.  I remember one occasion at Dublin when it was at the holding point with an Air France 747 behind; the 747 crew literally overlooked the Fouga in front of them and were going to line up, until the Fouga reminded them of his presence!

Thanks SF, suspect the Fouga driver was not happy with a 747 about to step on him !  :yikes: