Author Topic: Mystery wing on Baldonnel scrapyard  (Read 3270 times)

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
Mystery wing on Baldonnel scrapyard
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:44:32 pm »
I was browsing through some pics of Seafires on Baldonnel scrapyard and I found this strange looking wing. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea, what this piece belongs to... It looks like spitfire wing, but... With camouflage on it? I am thinking about Hurricane Mk.IIc now.
Any ideas anyone?

Non multi sed multa

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:51:25 pm »
Hi there
Perhaps it's a wing from a Master or Martinet? The Hurri IIc's cannon ports were quite close together.
regards
GttC

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 10:50:14 pm »
Hello All.
Martinets were not camouflaged and the Master did not have what looks like the cannon location on the starboard wing of a Spitfire Vb possibly RAF as the Seafire had the folding wing construction which does not appear to be visible in the photo. My tuppence worth!
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 04:24:25 am »
Hi Tony and all,
Perhaps it's an outer wing from a twin such as an Anson? The port could be for a landing light...I thought the Spitfire Vb wing had a protuding recoil cylinder inboard of the cannon port?!
regards
GttC

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 07:35:13 pm »
Hallo all,
thanks for your replies... I was thinking about SpitVb my self, but this photo was taken in 1962 /?/ and I thought, there wouldn't be any such a thing around, 17yrs after the war...
Non multi sed multa

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:12:11 pm »
Hello GttC and FiSe,
The MarkVb Spitfire that comes to mind is the one which crashed at Ratoath killing the Polish pilot. It did not have a second protusion at the cannon inboard. The Anson Mk I did not have a wing landing light ,it was in the nose. It does not appear to be the wing ID light as it is too far away from the wing curve at the tip. Image attached from Anson Mk I. There was quite an amount of odd parts in storage at Baldonnel for many years after the war and quite often bit appeared on the dump subsequently.Suggestions please!
Tony K

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:29:43 pm »
Only for information, there is drawing of Spitfire Mk.Vb wing, taken from Tamiya kit
Non multi sed multa

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:38:00 pm »
...and the same, but Mk.Vc wing, "courtesy" of Airfix this time. And if you look at the cammo patern of "b" version it looks like on the "mystery wing" on the picture, so you are probably right Tony
Non multi sed multa

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 09:56:36 pm »
Also apparent in the photo is the protrusion from the wing root where it bolts onto the centre section.  The following link depicts a Spitfire wing (albeit of a Mark 21) with the same feature.

http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue....7#slide

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 02:45:42 am »
Hi all
This is annoying me now! The port in the mystery wing looks shorter than the port in the Glasgow picture.That's if it is a cannon port...I remember seeing a picture of a new Seafire wing, still in it's RN colour scheme, on the same dump, so it would not be unreasonable for the mystery wing to be an ex-RAF wing rather than a pure Air Corps wing.
Tony, did any of the Seafires survive the scrapman?
Regards
GttC

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:47:35 pm »
Hello all,
I have just had contact with an old friend in the UK who is THE Spitfire expert and it more or less confirms my theory. A Spitfire with B type wing.

GttC
The  Seafire 157 which was at Bolton Street College of Technology for many years and which had been cut up into many pieces found its way to the UK for long term rebuild, which has now come to a stop. I would imagine that a new Seafire will eventually be constructed and the only original part will be the constructors plate, that is, going on how I remember seeing it many years ago.The civil reg is G-BWEM and is, I believe the only Irish Seafire that survived the scrap man. Information if any to the contrary would be appreciated.
Tony K

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 09:30:13 pm »
Now, that's very interesting, Tony  'thumbsup'

BTW, in older topic you wrote:

312 Sqn. moved to Valley on 3 March 1941 with a detachment at Penrhos (Wales). On 10 April two Hurricanes intercepted a Ju88 which took place approx 30/35 miles SW of Bardsey which would take it close to Wicklow. The Ju88 was shot down and one of the Hurricanes also crashed into the sea. Perhaps a good modelling subject?

I finaly found something about this plane, it was Hurricane Mk.I, V-7066, DUoT flown by A.M.Dawbarn. I will know much more after my holidays in the mid of July...
Non multi sed multa

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 10:49:18 pm »
I did not realise that you wanted the full details but you have the correct serial and squadron codes for 40213 F/Lt A A M Dawbarn's Hurricane. He was flying with 787508 Sgt Jan Truhlar (Czech) his aircraft was V6926 DU-X. Truhlar was shot down in July and became a prisoner. A month earlier (March) Dawbarn with Sgt Stehlik (Czech) destroyed a Ju88. Sorry Frank for getting off topic, I will stop here I think I can feel your presence at the back of my neck!
Tony K

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 10:41:20 pm »
Tony, I actually didn't, I know where to look, but thanks for tip and those details  'thumbsup'

Next thing is.....wing again! I don't want to be some kind of sensation hunter, or creator of myths, but I found part of Seafire wing - I think, there is no mistake here, which is camouflaged, or it seems to be. It could be a shadow, which I doubt, or part of  Irish insignia ?, or it could be anything...

But is any possibility, that the IAC recieved some Seafire spares from FAA in their camo colours, which were subsequently used on some plane/s, instructional airframes, etc.? Or is it just some leftover of crashed FAA/RAF machine from whatever era?

This wing is on the left, on very bottom of this scan. Photograph is from the same series of pictures like in the first case, 1962 is the year on reverse...
Non multi sed multa

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 11:19:43 am »
Fise
The Air Corps did recieve Seafire wings in their FAA colours.At least one wing is recorded as having been dumped, fully intact, still in the FAA colours and bearing the parent aircraft's squadron number.It never flew on an Irish aircraft and was dumped directly from stores.This was often the case when an aircraft type was struck off charge.
Your picture is indistinct, no fault of yours.Any more?
regards
Gttc