Author Topic: Helicopter Tender Announced  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Helicopter Tender Announced
« on: May 30, 2004, 08:22:21 pm »
Well Guys,

It has finally been announced, the tender for the new helicopters.  Here are the requirements of the tender:

Provision of Light Utility and Utility Military helicopters.

2 Light Utility Military Helicopters mainly for pilot training but also which may be configured for air ambulance, VIP transport and limited command and control.

4 Utility Military Helicopters (with an option for two (2) additional Utility Military Helicopters) mainly for interoperability training with the Army, military manoeuvres, air ambulance, casevac and limited air lift and troop transport for up to eight fully equipped troops

The Governments eTender website is currently down but if you click here you can visit the eTenders website:

http://www.etenders.gov.ie

-----------------------------------------

Below you will find links to pictures of some of the helicopters mentioned as possible contenders for the tender:

Agusta A-109

Agusta Bell AB-412

Eurocopter EC135

Eurocopter EC145

Eurocopter EC635

Aerospatiale AS332M1 Super Puma (Similar to Cougar)

Sikorsky UH-60 Blackhawk

Sikorsky S-76

-----------------------------------------

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 12:09:02 am »
The Irish Independent
Don Lavery

Three of the worlds leading helicopter manufacturers are to compete for a multimillion Euro order for a new fleet of up to eight helicopters for the Irish Air Corps as it assumes a more traditional military role.

An initial order for two light helicopters for training and four utility helicopters able to carry eight soldier will allow a platoon of 32 soldier to be airlifted in one go.

Tenders for the new fleet, which were advertised publicly yesterday, also contain an option for two more utility helicopters.

With the Search and Rescue role all but removed form the Air Corps, the force is now providing more direct support for the Army.

The famous US Black Hawk is know to be a favourite among some sections of the Defence Forces after Irish Special Forces soldiers used similar Australian Army helicopters in East Timor.

Eurocopter is likely to put its EC-135 and EC-145 helicopters into the hat for the new contract.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 12:20:20 am »

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 10:56:10 pm »
Here's the full text of the tender document, to see it on the eTenders website click on the link below:

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?ID=MAY025215

Title: IRL-Dublin: helicopters
Awarding Authority: Department of Defence
Publication date: 29-May-2004
Application Deadline:  
Tender Deadline Date: 23-Jul-2004
Tender Deadline Time: 12:00
Notice Type: Tenders
Has Documents: No
Abstract: Provision of Light Utility and Utility Military Helicopters.
2 Light Utility Military Helicopters mainly for pilot training but also which may be configured for air ambulance, VIP transport and limited command and control. 4 Utility Military Helicopters (with an option for two (2) additional Utility Military Helicopters) mainly for interoperability training with the Army, military manoeuvres, air ambulance, casevac and limited air lift and troop transport for up to eight fully equipped troops.
CPV: 35312000.

Additional Documents

There are no additional documents attached to this notice.  

Contact Information

Main Contact: john.hanney@defence.irlgov.ie
Admin Contact: N/a
Technical Contact: N/a
Other Contact: N/a

Full Notice Text

CONTRACT NOTICE
Supplies
This contract is covered by the Government Procurement Agreement (GPA): No.

SECTION I: CONTRACTING AUTHORITY

I.1) Official name and address of the contracting authority: Department of Defence, Att: Contracts Manager, Colaiste Caoimhin, Mobhi Road, Glasnevin, IRL-Dublin 9. Tel.: 00353-1-8042402. Fax: 00353-1-6706472. E-mail: john.hanney@defence.irlgov.ie URL: www.defence.ie.

I.2) Address from which further information can be obtained: Department of Defence, Att: Helen Masterson, Colaiste Caoimhin, Mobhi Road, Glasnevin, IRL-Dublin 9. Tel.: 00353-1-8042361. Fax: 00353-1-6706472. E-mail: helen.masterson@defence.irlgov.ie URL: www.defence.ie.

I.3) Address from which documentation may be obtained: Department of Defence, Att: Helen Masterson, Colaiste Caoimhin, Mobhi Road, Glasnevin, IRL-Dublin 9. Tel.: 00353-1-8042361. Fax: 00353-1-6706472. E-mail: helen.masterson@defence.irlgov.ie URL: www.defence.ie.

I.4) Address to which tenders/requests to participate must be sent: As in I.1.

I.5) Type of contracting authority: Central level.

SECTION II: OBJECT OF THE CONTRACT

II.1) Description

II.1.4) Framework agreement: No.

II.1.5) Title attributed to the contract by the contracting authority: Provision of Light Utility and Utility Military Helicopters.

II.1.6) Description/object of the contract: 2 Light Utility Military Helicopters mainly for pilot training but also which may be configured for air ambulance, VIP transport and limited command and control. 4 Utility Military Helicopters (with an option for two (2) additional Utility Military Helicopters) mainly for interoperability training with the Army, military manoeuvres, air ambulance, casevac and limited air
lift and troop transport for up to eight fully equipped troops.

II.1.7) Site or location of works, place of delivery or performance: Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, Co. Dublin.

II.1.8) Nomenclature

II.1.8.1) Common Procurement Vocabulary (CPV): 35312000.

II.1.9) Division into lots: No.

II.1.10) Will variants be accepted: No.

II.2) Quantity or scope of the contract

II.2.1) Total quantity or scope: Six (6) Military Helicopters (with an option for two (2) additional Military helicopters).

II.2.2) Options. Description and time when they may be exercised: Not applicable.

II.3) Duration of the contract or time limit for completion: 12 months from the award of the contract.

SECTION III: LEGAL, ECONOMIC, FINANCIAL AND TECHNICAL INFORMATION

III.1) Conditions relating to the contract

III.1.1) Deposits and guarantees required: Not applicable.

III.1.2) Main terms of financing and payment and/or reference to the relevant provisions: As per request for Tender document.

III.1.3) Legal form to be taken by the grouping of suppliers, contractors or service providers to whom the contract is awarded: Before the Contract may be awarded to a group of suppliers, they will be required to register jointly as a company or, in any grouping of suppliers, one supplier must assume the role of main contractor. All other suppliers will be sub-contractors.

III.2) Conditions for participation

III.2.1) Information concerning the personal situation of the contractor, supplier or service provider and information and formalities necessary for the evaluation of the minimum economic, financial and technical capacity required: The Contractor will be required to produce a valid Tax Clearance Certificate (if Irish Residents) or a Statement from the Irish Revenue Commissioners that they are satisfied of his suitability to be awarded the contract (if non Irish Resident).

III.2.1.1) Legal position - means of proof required: Status of
manufacturer or supplier (evidence that he is a properly established company/individual to supply helicopters).

III.2.1.2) Economic and financial capacity - means of proof required: Evidence of Economic and financial standing will be required.

III.2.1.3) Technical capacity - means of proof required: Evidence of the Tenderers manufacturing/supplying capacity will be required.

SECTION IV: PROCEDURE

IV.1) Type of procedure: Open.

IV.1.2) Justification for the choice of accelerated procedure: Not applicable.

IV.2) Award criteria: The most economically advantageous tender in terms of:  Criteria as stated below:

1: Functional characteristics, operational suitability and technical merit;
2: Maintenance, technical support and after-sales service;
3: Tender prices;
4: Life cycle costs over 20 years;
5: Training;
6: Warranties;
7: Delivery period.

In descending order of priority: Yes.

IV.3) Administrative information

IV.3.1) Reference number attributed to the file by the contracting authority: CON/117/2004.

IV.3.2) Conditions for obtaining contract document and additional documents: Terms and method of payment: Not applicable.

IV.3.3) Time-limit for receipt of tenders or requests to participate: 23.7.2004. Time: 12:00.

IV.3.5) Language or languages in which tenders or requests to participate can be drawn up: English.

IV.3.6) Minimum time frame during which the tenderer must maintain its tender: 120 days from the deadline stated for receipt of tenders.

IV.3.7) Conditions for opening tenders

IV.3.7.1) Persons authorised to be present at the opening of tenders: Not applicable.

IV.3.7.2) Date, time and place: Not applicable.

SECTION VI: OTHER INFORMATION

VI.1) Non-mandatory notice: No.

VI.2) Indication whether this procurement is a recurrent one and the estimated timing for further notices to be published: Not applicable.

VI.3) The contract relates to a project/programme financed by EU funds: No.

VI.4) Additional information:

II.1.2) Type of supplies contract (in case of supplies contract): Purchase, Lease.

VI.5) Date of dispatch of this notice: 21.5.2004.

Further Information

Information added to the notice since publication.

30-Jun-2004 Deadline Date(s) Changed
The deadline date was changed from 23-Jul-2004 to 03/08/2004.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 07:18:36 pm »
From the Irish Independent:

Helicopter firms to battle again for €50m contract
Don Lavery

THREE companies that battled it out to win a €100m helicopter contract - subsequently cancelled by Defence Minister Michael Smith - are to compete again to supply a new fleet of choppers to the Air Corps.

British-Italian firm Agusta-Westland said yesterday that they would be submitting their A-109 helicopter, which has recently been bought by South Africa, and their new, larger AB-139 chopper for the new contract, worth about €50m.

Thirty-five of the 139s have been bought by the US Coast Guard and it has been offered to New Zealand to replace their Vietnam War-era fleet of Huey helicopters.

It is expected that the US Blackhawk will be among the choppers to be offered to the State.

An initial multi-million euro order for two light training helicopters and for four utility choppers, has been sought by the Department of Defence.

US firm Sikorsky, which won the 2002 contract that was then cancelled amid threats of legal action, are to offer either their S-76 or their famous Blackhawk transport helicopter, featured in the film 'Blackhawk Down'.

Irish Army Rangers are familiar with the Blackhawk as they took part in air mobile operations in East Timor, where they were flown by the Australian Army.

Eurocopter are likely to propose their EC-135 and EC-145 helicopters for the new contract.

Manufacturers must provide details to the Air Corps in a certain order. Firstly by operational suitability and technical merit, secondly by maintenance, technical support, after sales service and, thirdly, by price.

The new fleet of utility helicopters would replace the small Alouette, Dauphin and Gazelle aircraft in the Air Corps.

There is still a requirement for at least two medium-lift helicopters, able to carry the armed reconnaisance jeeps used by the Army Ranger Wing.

In the current operations in Liberia, giant Ukrainian Army Mi-26 helicopters were used to fly Irish Army jeeps and armoured cars on missions hundreds of kilometres from their base in Monrovia.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 10:57:05 am »
Originally posted by TAJ on the "Heli tenders expected shortly" thread:

Tender info

Having seen the tender in full, all of these are clearly stated requirements-the helis will be delivered to this standard.

Both helicopters have to be NVE capable(cockpit and external lighting).
Both helis will have SAR winches.
Light heli will have 1 sliding door.
Utility heli will have sliding door on both sides.
External load capability for light: 1000kg min
External load for utility: 1500kg min
Wire protection equipment.
Crash worthy troop seating.
Glass cockpits and IFR capable.
Door mounts for GPMG's on both sides of the larger heli.

I saved the best for last.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 06:31:35 pm »
THX for the update.  As an aerospace jounalist with first hand experience covering the military helicopter market, the best option for the IAC is two Agusta A-109E Power variants for the trainer/VIP/casevac requirement and four + two Bell Agusta AB-139 Military's for the Utility role.  This represents the best value for money.  The AB-139 is an excellent aircraft.  Exercising the + two Utility options in the tender with two more AB-139's should replace the two non-ship capable Dauphins and trigger another order for two AB-139 ship-capable Martime Surveillance & SAR aircraft based on the AB-139 for the US Coast Guard under their Deepwater program.

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 07:47:44 pm »
He there oldredeye,

first of all.....welcome to the forum.

I fully agree with you on the A-109's
I've been tellin'this for the last few odd weeks / months and I think to that this Helo is the best choise for the IAC.
When the need a transport heli I think the UH-60 is the best choise.

Guinness
Guinness is good for you

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 08:41:54 pm »
Roger that Guinness - and what a great name by the way.  I'm with you on the Blackhawk, made even more appealing by the current favorable exhange rate vis a vis dollars to Euros, but I think the objective of the tender is a single source for both types of helo, making a 109/139 combo the natural fit.  And while the Blackhawk is a whale of a machine, it's significantly more expensive than the 139 right up front, with higher through-life operating costs and more maintenance required.  If I was an IAC guy though, I'd be tickled silly with either one.

Offline alpha foxtrot 07

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 07:31:57 am »
correct me if i am wrong, but the 139 is a brand new a/c. if it is the corps will not be getting it as the tender states, no new unproven aircraft. the blackhawk is the best aircraft for the corps as it has proven itself capable in just about every role a helo can do. the only one i have never heard it doing is offshore support.
you're not lost until you're lost at mach 3

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 12:41:33 pm »
Hi oldredeye,

Welcome to the forum, it's nice to have someone with your experience on board.

From looking at the tender document it appears that the Air Corps do not require the same supplier to provide both helicopter types.

It does however state that both helicopter types be of new manufacture and be proven types.  Also, from what has been said in the Irish press, this purchase will result in the Defence Forces getting the utility helicopter they want rather than the the one the bean counters want.

The Defence Forces have operated with the Austrailian Blackhawks in East Timor, so they might well favour that helicopter.  As you well know the Blackhawk has been around for almost 20 years now.

As well as all that, the tender has asked that the aircraft be capable of mounting a GPMG on each side of the heli, as well as providing "options on the capability of the helicopters to provide limited fire support, which should cover a broad spectrum of basic weapons."

The Blackhawk would also fit this requirement with it's External Stores Support System (ESSS) which can carry additional fuel tanks or can carry a variety of ordnance including guns and rockets, I don't think the Hellfire capability is a requirement of the Irish tender.

I think we will see the Blackhawk in Irish markings yet, that's my opinion anyway, maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, I'm not a pilot or politician and this tender will be decided by those in the know, not by me (unfortunately!).

Regards,

Frank.

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 04:00:11 pm »
Alpha Foxtrot & Frank - I'm with you lads on the Blackhawk being a likely choice, particularly given that the two requirements may be sourced differently.  Austrias selection of the Blackhawk is a good model, as is Austria's purchase of totally refurbished C-130's from Marshall's of Cambridge for the tactical airlift requirment - the next hurdle for the IAC.

As for Blackhawk ship ops, look no further than the latest MH-60S Knighthawk version for the US Navy, basically a navalised Blackhawk with auto folding rotors, a folding tail rotor boom and a winch - perfect for operation from the anticipated next new vessel for the Naval Service - a multi-purpose flex ship based on those building for the Danes right now - a patrol frigate with a a vehicle deck, troop spaces and hanger and deck for two helos - with command and control capability to serve as the afloat HQ for an international deployment such as the one ongoing in Liberia.

Cheers

Offline IAS

• View Profile
    • www.geocities.ws/irisharmoredvehicles/
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:18 pm »
Oldredeye,

Totally agree with you, I think that Austria would make a very good role model for the Irish Defence Forces.

IAS

Offline sealion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 10:17:21 pm »
Quote (oldredeye @ 15 June 2004,07:00)
perfect for operation from the anticipated next new vessel for the Naval Service - a multi-purpose flex ship based on those building for the Danes right now - a patrol frigate with a a vehicle deck, troop spaces and hanger and deck for two helos - with command and control capability to serve as the afloat HQ for an international deployment such as the one ongoing in Liberia.

Cheers

Where did you hear this? Interesting concept!

Offline StevieW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 11:50:01 pm »
What a great sight it would be to see 4 IAC blackhawks. Maybe too good to be true? What about the light heli's then? EC635 would be nice I think. What do the rest of you think? Sealion- there's a lot of discussion about that ship on the boards at irish military online.

StevieW