Author Topic: Helicopter Tender Announced  (Read 2411 times)

Offline sealion

• View Profile
Helicopter Tender Announced
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 12:02:32 am »
Has it been mentioned anywhere other than Irish Military online?
Is this talk based on any fact or just the ramblings of some wannabees wishlist?

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004, 08:34:14 pm »
He Guy's,

The concept Oldredeye is telling about is not totaly new.
The Royal Netherlands Navy is working on sort of concept as well.
It'll be used for our 11th Air Manouvre Brigade with CH-47D, AS-532U2's and even AH-64D's.

Even the Royal Navy is runnin' tests now with the WAH-64D's flying of Naval vessels.

Guinness
Guinness is good for you

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 09:25:47 pm »
Sealion,  

check out http://www.navalteam.dk/supportship.htm

This is the solution for the NS - scrap the marginal old ships and obtain something along these lines.  Able to perform deep Atlantic economic patrols with organic aircraft, and able to provide the naval leg of the expeditionary capability we see emerging in the Defense Forces - alongside ongoing enhancements inthe Army, the helos and hopefully an airlift capability for the IAC.  As for NS interest in this concept, I understand it's there, but can't speak to how far along.

Cheers

Offline FMolloy

• View Profile
    • http://www.cushtacsurplus.com
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 10:00:44 pm »
I'd like to point out that the tender for the LUH & UH listed things the aircraft must have (being essential) and things they should have (being desirable).

The 'shoulds' inlcude weapons, door mounts, the sling loads of 1000 & 1500kg for the LUH & UH respectively (the ability to sling load is a must, but the weights are a should) and the wire strike capability.

These shoulds mean that the manufacturers have a lot of leeway, so we shouldn't count out any design yet.

I'd also like to point out that the troop carrying capabilities have been listed as 8 troops in light order (115kg each).
D'oh!

Offline sealion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 10:05:39 pm »
I remain sceptical. That said,I do know the NS is currently doing lots of building in the dockyard,and the new maritime college in Cork has extra quay space for the smaller craft which clutter the basin.
Making room in the basin for larger ships perhaps?