Author Topic: IAC Vampires  (Read 1444 times)

Offline pym

• View Profile
IAC Vampires
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:39:37 pm »
Hi all, just wondering if any of you would know the differences between the DH Vampire T.11 and T.55, both of which feature in the historic section of the Air Corps gallery on this site.

All I've been able to turn up is that the T.55 was an export version.

I'm guessing it may have featured a more powerful Goblin engine or some different avionics?

Thanks

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
IAC Vampires
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:26:34 pm »
The Vampire T.11 was the RAF trainer version. Historically the export versions of British military types have been given mark numbers from 50 upwards, hence most Vampire trainers built for export were designated as T.55s.  From my brief research, it looks as though the armament specification and model of Goblin engine fitted varied somewhat between customers for the Vampire T.55. I should add that the Irish Air Corps' sole Vampire T.11 "198" (formerly XE977 with the RAF) was acquired for ground instruction only and never flew in Air Corps markings.

Offline pym

• View Profile
Re: IAC Vampires
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:40:54 pm »
Short Finals, thank you!

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:11:41 pm »
Hi Short Finals, the Vampire you speak of, "198", was a pile of bits in the Apprentice side of Hangar 2 (The other side was where the Fougas were kept) back in the mid '70s. The bits were still in RAF colours back then. 6 of us apprentices from the 40th appt class re-assembled, paint stripped and re-painted the aircraft in Air Corps colours under the supervision of Sgt Jerry (The Rasher) McCann back in 1978. Then we towed it down past the Riverside huts to the front of the Apprentice Hostel. Later it got towed to the front of the Officers mess. I don't think it was ever actually used as an instructional airframe, perhaps because we had the Frence Air Force Fouga, after it's wheels up landing.
The lads from the 39th apprentice class gave me some invaluable experience in how to drill out rounded off phillips screws when we had the opportunity of taking that Fouga to bits!
I remember the Belgian Air Force taking away some of the IAC Vampire Airframes and at least one unboxed Goblin engine in a couple of Transalls That must have been back in '77-78. I've got a faded photo of the two Transalls on the ramp with a civvy Cessna 172 between them, dunno what he was doing. Any ideas Tony? 

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:22:05 pm »
John

Thanks for that.  I think I also saw that Vampire still in RAF markings and I've seen the odd picture of it in that scheme as well.  It was the French who took away a Vampire (185), which is now on display at Savigny-les-Beaune. Here it is: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5803004&nseq=1

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:32:29 pm »
Hi John,

The French had two Transalls in Casement together on 28 July 1976 but I dont think it was in connection with the Vampire which went to Savigny-les-Beaune. If memory serves, 185 was collected by Noratlas ex DUB, fuselage first, with the wings being sent out later. If memory is incorrect ,Tony K will be on shortly to make everything right again !  :bowdown:

Regards,

Joe

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:17:32 pm »
SF If I remember correctly you went to the trouble of posting a pic of the RAF Vampire. I too remember it in RAF colours and what caught my eye was the IFF aerials on each wing. I understand that RAF Vampires usually carried only two cannon. Vampire 191 under restoration now has all four fitted.
Regarding Vampire 185 and it delivery to France. Sit up and pay attention, use the search engine. Insert Transall scroll down and all the information is there, you lazy shower.   ----             am now making a run for it, forgot to turn out the light :airforce_tongue:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:51:03 pm by Frank »

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:09:09 am »
Hi Tony
IFF aerials on a Vampire?...John K, you're blinding me with flashback(the Rasher McCann...another NCO was also known as the Rasher and he too was a "graduate" of Rat Squadron).Riverside.Jesus! Good job the 'Elf 'n' Safety gnomes got rid of them, just before the 48th came in....the Beamo did a wonderful repair job on the side of 198's fuselage pod (after it got a slap of an Officer's yacht! Don't ask..), which is now, of course, covered in paint...
regards
GttC :laugh:

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:55:07 am »
Good man Tony ! All info on 185 now present & correct.  Will strive in future to be less lazy :fryingpan:

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:50:11 pm »
That's a good boy Joe, Iwill keep an eye on you in future.
GttC
I tried to upload a pic of the Ex RAF Vampire showing the IFF's, am trying again.
Tony K

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:28:02 pm »
When was that photo taken Tony ?

Joe

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 11:06:46 pm »
When was that photo taken Tony ?

Joe

October 1966 Joe
Tony K

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:15:23 pm »
Even Joe was only a lad then!

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 11:39:57 pm »
And still is, but what does that make of me
Tony K ;D

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 11:35:02 am »

Short Finals : That's just a rumour !  :rotfl:

Tony : is that a "Blue Max" biplane in the background ?

Joe