Author Topic: Flight Global archive  (Read 977 times)

Offline pym

• View Profile
Flight Global archive
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:39:20 am »
Hi folks, some of you may be interested to note that an archive of Flight International editions is available on-line.

There are a number of articles which are of interest to the IAC, such as this from 1973:

Irish Air Corps expansion
The Macchi MB.326 equipped for light ground-attack has been selected to replace the Irish Air Corps' six Vampire Trainers, which have no offensive role. Provision for the first replacement is written into the current Defence Estimates. Next year's Estimates, now in draft form, are understood to include provision of helicopter troop-lift capacity to improve the Irish Army's ability to patrol the border effectively. At least one Westland Commando'—the tactical variant of the Sea King—or Aerospatiale Super Frelon is likely to be bought in the first instance. Last week Defence Minister Mr Paddy Donegan promised a "big shopping list" in the next Estimates and this will include new equipment to support two new regular Army battalions to be raised for border duties, which in turn will be reflected in expansion of the Irish Air Corps....

To search the archive just go to:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
Re: Flight Global archive
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:11:38 pm »
An IAC Super Frelon, now THAT is something I would've liked to see :o
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline pym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:30:20 pm »
An IAC Super Frelon, now THAT is something I would've liked to see :o

+1

Or the Commando for that matter!

I find the Magister acquisition a bit puzzling in some respects - I can only assume it was the cheapest option. Obviously things were kicking off badly in the North and relations were somewhat strained, but I would have thought the Jet Provost would be the most likely acquisition.

I'm not complaining though - seemed to serve the Air Corps very well.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:49:49 pm »
...but I would have thought the Jet Provost would be the most likely acquisition...

From a purely aesthetic & photographic point of view I'm glad they got the Fouga, I think the Jet Provost is one awful ugly aircraft, the Fouga, in my opinion, is a much more elegant looking plane.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline CK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:53:58 pm »
Interesting blast from the past.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »
Quote from: pym

I find the Magister acquisition a bit puzzling in some respects - I can only assume it was the cheapest option. Obviously things were kicking off badly in the North and relations were somewhat strained, but I would have thought the Jet Provost would be the most likely acquisition.

I'm not complaining though - seemed to serve the Air Corps very well.

The Jet Provost was demonstrated at Baldonnel but I do not believe it was a serious contender. Neither was the Strikemaster considered (on price alone), the Magister came at a good price and was a popular aircraft and as the "Boss" says a much more elegant looking plane.
Tony K
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:21:55 pm by Frank »

Offline pym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:06 pm »
Thank you Tony for that information!

I agree with you both, I think the Fouga is a far more elegant looking plane  :airforce_cheesy: