Author Topic: IAC Fouga tails  (Read 2323 times)

Fouga

Re: IAC Fouga tails
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:24:34 pm »
Fouga, It is an Air Corps picture and is copyright, OK?
Tony K

Damnit!! Excellent picture to whoever took it, absolutely brilliant.

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 02:31:50 pm »
Most aircraft are fitted with static dischargers of some type to discharge static electricity built up during flight by an airframe. Saves someone getting a nasty shock after landing and also helps greatly reduce the risk of a spark when the aircraft is being re-fuelled. Here are the three types fitted to a PC9 for example. I havent included the different types of bonding straps used around the aircraft (too many!)

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 05:21:33 pm »
Damnit!! Excellent picture to whoever took it, absolutely brilliant.
I believe it was Cpl Deco Parke (Photo Section, now 105 Sqn) who shot that fantastic image!  :applause:
Himself and John Daly shot a lot of Fouga air to air back then.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 07:50:39 pm »
Yep Deco below and John above, ie Deco photographing John photographing Deco :applause:
Great pic.
Tony K

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 11:44:50 pm »
Most aircraft are fitted with static dischargers of some type to discharge static electricity built up during flight by an airframe. Saves someone getting a nasty shock after landing and also helps greatly reduce the risk of a spark when the aircraft is being re-fuelled. Here are the three types fitted to a PC9 for example. I havent included the different types of bonding straps used around the aircraft (too many!)
Thanks for the PC-9 pictures. I know about dischargers, but normally the Fouga doesn't have them. The Irish ones are the only one I have ever seen to be modified with them. Makes me wonder if the IAC had trouble with static electricity?
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline R.P.Y.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 11:36:54 pm »
The Irish Fougas had a considerable avionic upgrade after delivery to the Air Corps. This upgrade was carried out by Aer Lingus at Dublin airport. I spent some weeks there 'observing' the upgrade being carried out. While I can't really remember for certain it's possible the static dischargers were fitted during this upgrade. ???

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »
Just spoke to a couple of the lads who were in Fighter Squadron when the Fouga's were delivered and worked on them till they were retired, and they said that they were delivered with the static dischargers fitted.