Author Topic: Possible non-sale of Barracks  (Read 241 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Possible non-sale of Barracks
« on: July 13, 2003, 02:54:45 pm »
Last week there was an article in the Indo about government plans to retain Kildare Barracks and Gormanston Airfield for "affordable housing projects".

Now while I agree that something needs to be done to help the housing crisis, I don't think this new scheme will work/go ahead. (I'd believe it when I'd see it !)
And anyway, it wouldn't solve the crisis nationwide.
I reckon it's just another government red-herring to get themselves some positive PR.

However, my question is this:
How will this (non-sale of barracks) affect the future re-equipment plans for the Defence Forces, and the Air Corps in particular - seeing as the funds from the sale of Gormanston were supposed to be earmarked for new aircraft ?

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 07:07:47 pm »
Any opinions ? No ?

Offline Turkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 01:25:35 am »
Silver, I must admit I am a bit worried that this may affect the purchase of new equipment while I hope the order of the PC-9's is carved in stone, we are dealing with ff and they have never been famed for their honesty.
Having said that, the robbing of DOD assets is more likely to affect the lease/purchase of D2 replacements, no, I know nothing, it's more in the order of a bad feeling.
Ireland, no jets, no future!