Author Topic: Irish 'COASTWATCH' aircraft?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Irish 'COASTWATCH' aircraft?
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:26:37 pm »
I was reading an excellent 4-page article about the RNLAF's new 2 x Dornier 228 'KUSTWACHT' aircraft in the current edition of 'Air International'.

These aircraft are used on behalf of the Netherlands Coastguard, Customs and various govt depts for costal patrols. The planes are piloted/maintained by RNLAF and RNN (navy) aircrew. The article also highlights the great co-operation bewteen the various agencies....with observers trained from several different departments to crew the planes.

IMO, we badly need such aircraft for Customs (and Coast Guard) patrols off our coastsline (the south west coast in particular).

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Kustwacht---Netherlands/Dornier-228-212/1272322/M/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:28:16 pm by Silver »

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
Re: Irish 'COASTWATCH' aircraft?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:15 pm »
Customs and various govt depts for costal patrols.

EHH...CASA CN-235MP anyone???????????????  :blush:

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:06:41 pm »
Perhaps I didnt explain my suggestion clearly enough...

What I'm suggesting for any potential Irish 'COASTWATCH' aircraft is planes whose primary role would be dedicated to Customs anti-drug smuggling ops off our coast (the south west coast in particular) ...with secondary roles in assisting the Coast Guard to monitor oil spills, SAR ops etc.

I'm fully aware of Air Corps CASA's, whose primary role is fisheries protection and SAR ops....and are normally operated well out to sea. They do an excellent job in their roles. I'm suggesting an aircraft like the Dornier 228 to be operated closer to shore.

I believe that we must be one of the few countries that doesnt have dedicated Customs patrol aircraft - when ironically we have one of the largest coastlines and sea areas to patrol.

Remember that the Netherlands also operate other larger aircraft (similar to the CASA) i.e. Orions.

Ireland could well be regarded as the 'gateway to Europe' when it comes to smuggled drugs shipments passing through here...imo its high time we make a better effort to try and tackle the problem.

Recall that huge drugs shipment that was discovered off the Cork coast last year (or year before?)?
That was only discovered by accident when the smugglers put diesel in the petrol powered boats.

Imagine all drugs shipments that must pass through Ireland undetected?!   

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:14:40 pm by Silver »

Offline CK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:40:13 pm »
We badly need that type of patrol and more CASAs also.We always seem to be last in Europe to put aircraft to this type of use. Be better than 2 govt. jets! :airforce_angry:

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 06:59:35 pm »
We badly need that type of patrol and more CASAs also.We always seem to be last in Europe to put aircraft to this type of use. Be better than 2 govt. jets! :airforce_angry:

Couldnt agree more!
We should sell one of the govt jets (or maybe both!) and buy a CASA dual Maritime/Transport aircraft (as the USCG now operate)....and perhaps a Dornier 228 for 'close to shore' and 'overland' Customs/Coast Guard ops.