Author Topic: ERF Battle Groups  (Read 399 times)

Offline clan

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« on: April 24, 2004, 08:15:36 pm »
Interesting story in the Indo a few weeks ago which I read on IMO,
""We do not have the numbers to go it alone," General Sreenan explained, "and it will be very costly as we will have to be self-deployable, self-sustained and equipped to very high levels."

These battle groups will apparently be agreed before the end of Irelands stint as president of the EU.

So, we will need at least C130 aircraft to transport us to the trouble spot, we will need HLH and MLH for on the ground transportation.
So maybe investment is coming!!!!
Who mentioned Jets

Offline clan

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 08:17:01 pm »
Who mentioned Jets

Fouga

ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 09:27:39 pm »
amazing we get investment when we are told to and not of our will. well you know what i mean Brussels says to smithy we gots to get em he say ok. if we dont need em he say we get none etc.

':p'

Offline Joey d

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 09:30:25 pm »
Since we cant make up a 'battle group' on our own, maybe our other partners in the group will be providing the air support?!

Offline clan

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 11:03:50 am »
It is interesting though, when he says we have to be "self deployable and self sustained". Which would mean we cannot catch a lift of anyone else we must be ready to go by our own steam. Which in theory would mean at least two herc size transporters and at the very least MLH'S.
But seeing as this is a EU proposal, headed by the UK, France and Germany, then maybe the EU are going to pay for the equipment or partially pay for it.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline Joey d

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 11:51:53 am »
"self deployable and self sustained".

Maybe he means the battle group itself has to be self deployable and self sustained, not necessarily the Irish by themselves?!

Offline clan

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 07:31:16 pm »
True, but either way it is going to need investment. if we join with Sweden and Finland and are called overseas at short notice they will be at full stretch to get there troops and equipment to the war Zone.
So there must be something coming in terms of Machinery.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 09:21:13 pm »
I realy doubt if the goverment is willing to spend a few million euro's for the tasks noticed before.

To my sugestion they'll always keep on "turning around the exact point" and no decicions will be made by this goverment.

When the Irish Forces are needed by UN they will be transported and suported by "better-equiped" forces.
These costs of transport are payed by countries who do not suply forces but support only financialy ( like Iceland e.g. )

Guinness
Guinness is good for you

Offline clan

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 08:44:44 am »
Gunniness, I agree but this is not the UN, this is the EU, who have in the past given us money for planes ie the Casa.
I am just speculating, the line "Self Deployable and Self Sustained" while standing out in the press release could have a number of different meanings as JD pointed out.
Maybe the optimist in me hopes it reads more planes and heli's.
Fingers crossed.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
ERF Battle Groups
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 07:10:41 pm »
it would be great if there were a couple of herks on the inventory and real mlh like the merlin the best mlh on offer but i cant see anything lik that coming soon.if they were to be effective they would need some form of close air support?wudnt they?that mite mean pc-9s overseas or it cud mean new attack aircraft?
above and beyond