Author Topic: lenses!?  (Read 296 times)

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
lenses!?
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:58:36 am »
is a bigger lense better for taking pics of aircraft further away from you?im getting a 150mm lense for olympus E500 but olympus have a ratio factor or something like that built into their cameras so it will actually double the lense power to 300mm and im also looking for a 1.4-2.0X converter for the lense aswell so it will end up something like a 450mm lense i think!any advice on lenses?
above and beyond

Offline papa 242

• View Profile
lenses!?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 11:13:11 pm »
Happy Christmas Pilatus.
I have an Olympus E500 kit with the two lenses..14 to 45 which roughly equates to 28 to 90, and 40 to 150 which is 80 to 300.
I love the camera so far and used it in anger for the first time at Flying Legends at Duxford this year.Very happy with the shots from both lenses but at max zoom on 150 the camera needs to be rock steady,even a monopod makes a difference.
and if you 2x convert it, I would say use a tripod.
For large formation flypasts,such as Duxfords Balbo ( 40 + a/c)
a dedicated wide angle lens is a must.
As the three fourths range grows our choice and (hopefully)cost should go down .
I have bought 2 1gig CF cards, Sandisk Extreme III, they are brilliant, really fast image transfer rate.Ideal for fast flybys!!

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
lenses!?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 09:54:46 pm »
thanks for the advice!i was looking at the OM series lenses which are dirt cheap now because the cameras are no longer in production and im wondering would they be of any use on the E500?because they are really well priced!go onto ebay and put olympus lense converter and you should get a whole load of the lenses!
above and beyond

Offline papa 242

• View Profile
lenses!?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 02:29:17 pm »
well like you said the 35mm om lenses on a four thirds body will double in power so keep that in mind when buying,also as the lenses are manual,you will have to use the camera completely manually,including your metering and all this extra work might be a bit slow for aerial shots when the subject is moving so fast
i'd say invest in some sigma lenses,great value for money

Offline warthog

• View Profile
lenses!?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 02:36:00 pm »
whoops sorry! that was me that replied there,i didn't notice i was active on my dads username!   'duh'