Author Topic: All Eight PC9'S  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Head

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 01:20:48 pm »
What a cool sight and sound  'buttrock'

from Tallaght a few mins ago..

Fox section cleared for the break..

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 01:05:20 pm »
I bet there were a few calls to the "Guards" saying that Tallaght was being invaded .... LOL

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 02:49:51 pm »
Great pictures once again and this is all really cool, etc., etc., etc.,.......but what's the point?   Is this why the IAC has 8x PC-9's?   = At least three more than required to satisfy pilot training requirments.  Is there any other realistic role for the PC-9's?  What did this exercise contribute to military effectiveness?  Ditto for the Helidays airshow participation and the extensive list of other airshows the IAC is slated to attend this year at significant expense.  

Is the IAC a professional military air arm or a flying club?  Instead of operating 8x PC-9's and everybody busy attending airshows, the IAC needs more, deployable AW-139/149's with appropriately trained crews capable of conducting day/night combat operations and who regularly attend EU/NATO exercises and ultimately deploy in support of Irish missions alongside their Army bretheren.  A modest number of shows to highlight the Irish Air Corps is fine, but not a force that is little more than a civilian government air component.

That's my rant.....

Offline Pink Panther

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 05:41:41 pm »
I was starting to think the same thing myself.It is starting to look like they are burning holes in the sky for the sake of it. Between the formation flying and all the various photo shoots in different parts of the country. Is this What it's all about ??.

PS:Great photos Frank  'thumbsup' .

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 09:31:13 am »
I agree with the earlier comments too. But to be honest they are trainers, nothing else. Now that they have learnt how to fly, why not fly around wasting taxpayers money on fuel. When you buy a trainer, there is always the assumption that following training you will go on to fly something faster, more powerful etc. But in the IAC's case this is not the case (and please don't mention the 2 MATS jets). 8 trainers for a Corps that only has a few dozen aircraft in total seems a bit excessive, so let them have their fun and fly around the country whenever they want showing off how they can fly in formation.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 10:44:30 am »
Hi all
Claudel,when did you transfer to the Navy? "Ships"?? I recall that you'd have been eaten alive in the cha club in BFTS for saying such a word.Times have changed...it's rather amusing to read aerosexuals questioning the "why" of the Air Corps choice in buying eight PC-9s. It's because this 8-AIRCRAFT flight is simply unusual and routinely, there will be a lot fewer available for daily service. Scheduled and unscheduled maintenance will do what it always does and affect availability.Essentially, they bought eight to guarantee six on the ramp.The Air Corps doen't operate like an airline where you buy eight for service and expect to get at least seven on duty all day, every day...Flyboy, if you don't regard a King Air, a Lear or a Gulfy or a Casa as a step up, in terms of skill level, performance, utility,etc from the PC-9, then you have missed the point.It's not about grooming jet jockeys, it's about producing skilled pilots who are expected to become aircraft commanders, who are expected to be as capable as any civil airline pilot.
As for swanning around at airshows and formation training, well, the Don pilots are past masters at justifying their existence and the need to fly what might seem as pointless missions to the bystander.The only time anyone in office made a serious effort to cut frivolous flights was when they reduced Fouga flights in the past.
Enjoy the PC-9s because you'll be looking at them for a very long time to come.
regards
GttC

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 10:52:50 am »
Hi Guys,
I think it must be recognised that it is many, many years since the Air Corps have been able to hold their heads up in the Airshow circuit without being laughed at because of their outdated technology. I think as the first military AW139 operator, this year they should go around the circuit, if nothing else it will be good experience for crews operating outside the comfort zone of Ireland.

However, and it is a big however, this should in no way take from the operational roles of the aircraft OR the training for future potential roles. If this is happening then airshows and photo calls must play second fiddle! If the Air Corps have any asspirations beyond the boundries of the Republic then they need to get their act together, develop a policy, develop a doctrine and train for the capability. Only then can they present their case to the DF at large and be brought aboard overseas missions as a substaintive asset. The notion of sitting back and waiting for the DF to request the AC to go overseas is never going to happen, maybe thats what some people want.

With reagrds to the 8 ship I have to agree with Old Redeye. They look abolsolutely brilliant but what for? 8 aircraft in over two years completed 5000hrs. Big swing, how many hours does the single Garda 135 have in a little over that time?
The 8 aircraft were, I understand, bought with a requirement of 3600hrs per year ie 450hrs each. At the current rate of utilisation ie 2500 per year the DF could have been happy with 6 aircraft allowing 200hrs spare capacity. This air display has just highlighted the serious inefficencies that exist and the waste of over €16 million. To the other arms of the DF watching this display that equates to 16 armoured cars or almost a complete OPV and people wonder why the Air Corps get bad press within the DF.

ST

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 12:04:10 pm »
Souza,
All AC pilots get to fly outside the State long before they ever get near a 139.They all get ME training on the King Air, part of which involves airways routes across the Irish Sea, just like airline pilots do every day.It's not a big deal to fly off our little rock, you know.
It's up to the heli people to improve inter-DF relationships by improving availability and access and to show willing.
regards
GttC

Offline warthog

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 10:51:33 pm »
anyone stop to think that maybe agusta are paying for the heli's to go abroad? might have been part of the deal,you buy an untried machine as the guinea pigs,help us promote it and we give you a good price?

simple fact is at the moment there are three more choppers due and not alot else for junior pilots to get up in the sky and learn their craft on so i think it's a good thing to get people in the air as much as possible and get the ball rolling so they can quickly graduate to rotorary once the machines are in place!

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
All Eight PC9'S
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 01:38:04 pm »
Hey GTTC. They may have given us nearly navy blue suits to wear but still have no sea legs. The drivers call them ships once they fly more than one together and it has rubbed off on us. must have something to do with the JFK when it was here and they were all on board the boat.

Navy heads don't take offence, your boats are really nice. Pity your carrier doesn't carry anymore.