Author Topic: What next aircraft?  (Read 7711 times)

Offline FiannaFail

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:10:42 pm »
In light of recent investment in various aircraft what aircraft would you guys like to be purchased next for our Corps? Types and numbers please! 'pilot_cool'
Patricia Guerin

Offline pym

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:56:46 pm »
It really depends on what roles the Air Corps see themselves expanding into/ improving on.

But for starters I don't think there can ever be enough helicopters, so if I had the cheque book my first orders would be for an additional:

2x135's
4x139's

I'd then upgrade the existing CASA MP aircraft with the ability to carry the Harpoon missile, like a number of countries already operate. You may ask when will the ever be used, but it's better to have additional capability and never use it, than need it and not have it.

After that..

Probably a B737 in a cargo/passenger configuration for Troop Transport & Occasional long range VIP flights. Farm out maintenance to Ryanair and for that reason base it Dublin Airport - unless military matters mean it's better off in Baldonnel. The current short hops between DUB and Baldonnel made by the VIP fleet are a rediculous waste of money.

I'd upgrade the 737 and give it some military specific equipment such as flare dispensers and some manner of SAM detection. Again, better to have some defensive equipment than not.

If it was to be purchased, it would be on the understanding that DF usage gets absolute priority over VIP transport. One can always send the Learjet to pick up a government minister from a pub opening....

Just a few idea's. I'll bow to people with greater knowledge of the subject at hand though.

Offline clog

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:40:28 pm »
I agree fully with the heli fleet!! 2 more 135 and 4-6 more 139 would be nice.

I would however like to see 2 more Casa 295's to be used for transport and army co-op such as para's (ARW) they are also capable of transporting some of our light recce vehicles, something we can't do with our present fleet. I know we don't really need it but all other countries posses such capabilities, and what if we should need it? It would probbably be abroad (UN) but at least we dont have to call in civies to do that job.

Just some of my humble oppinions on the subject.

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
What next aircraft?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:58:20 pm »
And I think, that GASU should be operated independently on IAC. So, I'd throw few more 135's into the bucket.
I think 4 more should be plenty to cover whole country.

6 GASU helicopters stationed at: Dublin 2, Limerick 1, Cork 1, Galway 1 and 1 in reserve... Fantasy, I know  'yikes'
Non multi sed multa

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:36:31 pm »
Half a dozen Jags, I hear there are a few up for sale!  and maybe a herc.  'pilot_laugh'  'pilot_rolleyes'

Offline pym

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:54:50 am »
Someone just had to mention jets  ':O'

They could do a lot worse than getting Jags, but I think we all know what the chances of that are, even if the RAF gifted them.

Offline Hyper Crispy

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:01:36 am »
Hello FF, where the hell have you been?
They are watching you!!

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:29:49 am »
Well, FF is back and starting the wish list thing all over again!! Welcome back aul chap!  

Re: Jags, the very last of them landed RAF Cosford last week for scrapping/storage/display and what a beutifully painted Jag it was. The topside painted like a jags coat and all the Sqn badges on the rudder. More where dispersed to Shawbury, 12 I think. The only ones left flying are the two(GR3A and T4) at Boscombe down, with QinetiQ/ETPS, and for the moment they are still in 6 Sqn colours, dont know if theyll be painted Rasberry Ripple?? Looks like the Typhoon is taking over and will be a very common sight in UK skies soon!!

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 12:41:32 pm »
Hi Guys,
With reference to more helis there is absolutley no current requirement for them. Perhaps if they were to go overseas but then a new type would be required, The 139s were not purchased with overseas in mind.
For domestic tasks the current fleet is more then enough if, and only if, the problems on the maintenance side are sorted out. Lack of staff, no 24hr maintenance, no shift allowances etc. Civil helicopters in the north sea are more maintenance intensive then anything in the AC yet they regularly produce 200+ hrs PER MONTH. The cost of 6 new helicopters would go along way to sorting out the maintenance problems.

I agree with the 737QC and maybe an Intra Theatre airlift capability IF a requirement exists. To throw out a few meatbombs and lift 1 vehcile at a time is just not enough justification.

Jets, no way. No requirement, too expensive to operate and considering armed PC9s do nothing in Ireland whats the point. As for Jags I dont think the RAF varients have AA radar and so would be as blind as a PC9.

More 235 MPAs? Lets show that the AC can utilise what they have before buying more. 800hrs per year per airframe is not utilisation.

Perhaps allow the customs to purchase an MPA aircraft operated under contract by the AC, as with the GASU. Please dont say the AC could just do that job becasue they wont. They cant even put together a 24hr Air Ambulance / SAR top cover roster.
ST

Offline clog

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »
Jaguars eh?  Ha Ha good one.  'pilot_wink'

Offline clog

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:51:01 pm »
Quote (SousaTeuszii @ 11 July 2007,03:41)
Hi Guys,
With reference to more helis there is absolutley no current requirement for them.

SousaTeuszii,

If you start thinking like that than there is no current requirement of our Air Corps besides the GASU and 101 Sqn.

Fianna Fail fall didn't ask for requirements but just what we would like to see within the aircorps.

so all requirements aside what kind of aircraft would you like to see in the A/C SousaTeuszii?

Fouga

What next aircraft?
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:02 pm »
Id like to see a few Harriers.

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 02:24:35 pm »
Oopps,
Sorry for the reasoned thinking!
This is obviously one for disengaging the brain and thinking what they could have, not what they need or is feasible.

In that case lets have Space Shuttles, we may need to support UN missions on the moon! It could happen you know.
ST 'pilot_rolleyes'

Offline clog

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 04:30:50 pm »
Armed hawks or AMX 's  'thumbsup'

B.T.W. Nice picture, Salthill?

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
What next aircraft?
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 12:16:14 pm »
Sousa and Pym have it pretty much right on as usual.  1-2 more 135's in the near term to fulfill most training/admin support roles + 4-5 AW-149's for overseas ops eventually - after maintenance, crewing and ops issues are sorted.  139's for tactical training and national missions. Obtain a C-295/CN-235-300 or B-737QC.  

No more PC-9's.  No Harpoons.  No fast jets.  

Institute regular tactical helicopter/special ops training exercises/exchanges with UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Italy, etc.  Work towards a 3-4 ship deployable AW-149 tactical helicopter capability interoperable with EU partners and Naval Service Multi-role Vessel within five years.