Author Topic: Alouette retirement  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 09:28:42 pm »
Quote (Short finals @ 22 Sep. 2007,10:18)
On looking at my own photos taken on Friday, it seems that the flag may be applied as an adhesive decal rather than with paint - ?  If so, that would account for the speedy reversion to the normal finish.

Correct Sf it is a decal. It had been intended to have a Pink Panther on the Boom as in the attached image. but it was decided that all 7 should be in the same finish. In between flying the flag was applied.
Tony K

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Alouette retirement
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »
Hi Guys,

Friday 21st September was an emotional day at Baldonnel, the day meant different things to different people.

While I've never served with the Air Corps I did grow up with the distinctive sound of the Alouette buzzing over my house, flying to the hospital, army barracks or airport, causing me to make a mad dash to the window or front door to catch a glimpse.

I'll miss that sight and sound, it was great to see 6 Alouettes flying in formation overhead, some lasting memories from the day I'm sure.

Anyway, some pictures from the big day are online, click here to see them:

http://www.worldairpics.com/results....er+2007

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline pym

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 10:49:19 pm »
To all the photographers who documented the event and have posted the pictures on line - thank you!

It's a great gift to those of us who couldn't be there.

Frank as per usual, your shots are stunning.

The picture of the 6 A3's on the runway with their crews in front is actually quite a touching shot.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 10:55:27 pm »
Hi all
My 2d worth.....I never worked directly on the Alouettes, except for a brief flurry when Eng Wing housed them for their 400hrs for a short-lived period, but I did NDT many hundreds of parts in the Engine Shop, so I like to think I had a hand in their continued service....I missed getting to the event as I was unavoidably detained elsewhere, but I think Frank's excellent photos will make up for it....I flew in them for about 20 flights, some duty-related, some not...a favourite flight of mine was the 20-minute airtest of the SAR "machine" on a Saturday morning.It was the one opportunity for Apprentices to get some airtime, so anyone who was confined could go up to Heli and try and scrounge a "flip" from the pilot.Most were obliging and it was a real delight to get the jolly, especially if the pilot was prepared to throw it about a bit...another favourite was autorotation training, as the descent in autorotation was eyewatering.I even had a go at being a winch "dummy", which was exhilarating, to say the least...the nonchalance of Heli crewmen who were prepared to hang out of a less-than-pencil-thin cable never ceased to amaze me, and I bow to no-one in my respect for the SAR men who really risked their all in many daring rescues.I don't think the public(and many Donners) quite understand the level of risk involved.Single-engined over raging seas in hellish winds and thrashing ships' rigging.No thanks!
Someone ought to tot up the total amount of people, if at all possible, that have passed thru the wide doors of the Alouette fleet in the 44 years of duty.It must number in the hundreds of thousands.Truly, they have served above and beyond the call of duty.
So, thanks,Alouettes, you played your part well. Thanks,Heli Flight, so did you.
regards
GttC

Offline Tech Crew

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »
I was at the ceremony on Friday and as an ex tech in helis I'd like to congradulate all involved in the organisation of the day. I worked on Dauphin, Gazelle and Alouettes in my time in the Don but always preferred The A111. It seemed to have more character than the more modern a/c and servicability wise never seemed to let us down as much as the 365f. Statistics might say different, I don't know, but i always had more faith in the A111 on start up.

Its strenght was its simplicity and basic solutions could be found to a lot of tech problems when stranded away from base. Its ruggedness and willingness to start first time after parking all night in the snow in the open on the square in the barracks in Monaghan was normaly in direct contrast to the delicate condition of the crew after a hectic night before !!!.

However it was time to move on and i'm delighted to see the fleet being modernised. It was long overdue.

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 09:21:57 am »
Why were there only 3 AW139's used, was 1 u/s or operational?

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 09:36:41 am »
They had one type of each helicopter on display in a hangar, the EC135 was in basic configuration, the Alouette was displayed with an air ambulance kit and the 4th AW139 was displayed with guns, ski's on the wheels and fast rope kit fitted.

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 12:16:17 pm »
Thanks Frank, did you take any pics of those ?
BTW, your other pics are great.

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
I only got a picture of it with the ski's fitted, there was too many people around it when the guns and ropes were fitted, they had been removed by the time the crowd cleared.

I'll post the pic as soon as I get a chance.

Offline pym

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 06:52:12 pm »
ello ello

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1024644/L/

Fergal Goodman has put up the above pic into the database of the AW139 with Fast Roping gear, guns & ski's.

But what got my attention is at the front of helicopter, to the left of the wire cutter under the nose. Never noticed it before, any idea's people?

Looks like it may be a light fitting of some description?

There also appears to be an attachment sticking out of the side gear pods.

All very interesting!

Offline Hyper Crispy

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 09:31:57 pm »
The fitting under the nose is the hard point for a Forward Looking Infrared Pod (FLIR). The mountings on the sponsons are simply to move the nav lights into a visible position when the wheel pads are fitted. The pads are not snow skis, although they may work to a certain extent in snow, they are load spreaders for operating on soft ground, and due to their size, the lights are not visible in their normal position on the sponsons from certain angles. Or so I'm told.
They are watching you!!

Offline pym

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 11:52:48 pm »
Quote (Hyper Crispy @ 26 Sep. 2007,12:31)
The fitting under the nose is the hard point for a Forward Looking Infrared Pod (FLIR). The mountings on the sponsons are simply to move the nav lights into a visible position when the wheel pads are fitted. The pads are not snow skis, although they may work to a certain extent in snow, they are load spreaders for operating on soft ground, and due to their size, the lights are not visible in their normal position on the sponsons from certain angles. Or so I'm told.

The hard point for the FLIR is the circular attachment to the right of the wire cutter though (I think!) and is always visible.

But your explanation i.e. making the nav lights visible would explain what this detachable fairing to the left is

Makes perfect sense

Cheers

Offline michaelb

• View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 03:58:24 pm »
Maybe I missed it but did anybody notice any news reports concerning the Alouette stand down? seems an awful shame that there is no recognition of the service performed for and in the name of the Irish public by these wonderful machines.Where are all self serving politicians who were happy to use the service swanning all the country,for important task like opening off licence, or going to the races.I am a long time left Heli Flight but I still remember them.

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Alouette retirement
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 07:34:52 pm »
There were letters of appreciation from both the President and the Taoiseach on display at the Alouette retirement event.

The Minister made mention of the retirement here but no special public statement seems to have been issued.

http://tinyurl.com/245rn4

Fouga

Alouette retirement
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 10:44:25 pm »
Quote (michaelb @ 27 Sep. 2007,06:58)
Maybe I missed it but did anybody notice any news reports concerning the Alouette stand down?

There was a nice write up and a real eye catching picture of the 6 ship on page 6 of the Irish Independent on Saturday.