Author Topic: Joining from Northern Ireland  (Read 1899 times)

Offline sniper

• View Profile
Joining from Northern Ireland
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:10:33 pm »
My oldest son (20)is considering the Air Corps as a career and would like to know how his qualifications would transfer over.He has 7 GCSEs at grade "C" and above including maths,english,history,geography,he also has a B-tech in Aviation Studies has been with the Air Training Corps for seven years reaching Staff Cadet classification with the rank of Instructor Cadet Warrant Officer.He also has completed a Gliding Scholarship in the Vigilant and has several hours flight time on the Tutor and an hour in the Tucano.Would any of this help him if he applied.

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:48:14 pm »
I'm not being rude, but why not join the RAF or BA Air Corps. Bigger, better equipment and more opportunities for advancement.

Offline sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »
Looking into all possibilities at present ,he was on our trip down to Baldonnal and was very impressed with the set up and attitudes.

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 12:50:17 pm »
I am sure there are people on this board who can give him first hand advice. You dont say if he wants to enter as an Officer or not.

Offline FiannaFail

• View Profile
Re: Joining from Northern Ireland
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
Why shouldn't someone from the 6 counties want to join the IAC?  Why critise their choice? If we all took such pride in being Irish we would be all in a better place! To all our separated northern friends I say:join up Ireland   want you!  :applause:
FiannaFail :ireland:
Patricia Guerin

Offline corsair

• View Profile
Re: Joining from Northern Ireland
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:18:27 pm »
The main issue is whether his GCSEs are applicable for the NUI matriculation requirements. There is information on that on the NUI website. This is an important part of the cadetship entry requirements as they like to send cadets to University College Galway.

Other than that all of the rest of his experience can only help.

Obviously there is no reason why someone from the North can join the Air Corps. I seem to recall at least one Air Corps pilot from Norn Iron. It's a pity that the RAF doesn't offer the same possibilities for people in the Republic any more.

The big fly in the ointment is that there are probably no cadetships in the Air Corps this year anyway. So it's all academic.  :airforce_cry: