Author Topic: RIAT 2008  (Read 5548 times)

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Re: RIAT 2008
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 07:34:19 pm »
For those who are looking forward to seeing the Vulcan fly at RIAT, here's a taster from Waddington last weekend.

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2008, 08:02:59 pm »
Great shots SF, really like the one with the Lanc  :thumbsup:

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 12:11:13 am »
Hi SF

Nice pics  :applause:
How did the pilot(s) fair off  as regards the display?
It would be nice to see her in formation with Red Arrows like they did for Concorde

Probably asking a bit much  :smile:

Also a bit of an improvement regarding the weather for both days at RIAT if you believe SKY NEWS  :bowdown:

Anyway roll on the weekend !!!!
May You Be In Heaven Half an hour before The Devil Knows Your Dead

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 12:34:09 am »

How did the pilot(s) fair off  as regards the display?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but as they were both experienced Vulcan aircrew they had no problems.  In fact the co-pilot for the display was Martin Withers, who commanded the first succcessful Vulcan Black Buck mission against Port Stanley airfield in 1982.  The aircraft used on that mission, serial XM607, is now preserved at RAF Waddington.  As for the Vulcan's display routine, it is very nice but it's clear that conservation of airframe and engine life requires that it is treated a good deal more gently than in the energetic displays some of us will remember from the Vulcan's days in military service.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 01:21:18 am »
Hi SF

She looks great in your photos hard to think she quite an old lady and a beautiful lady at that !

XH558 & Lancaster flyby at Waddington 2008
Sounds Like MC Sean Muffet at the mike
some  YouTube footage  just click on the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNB87LiLXso&NR=1

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
RIAT 2008 - Saturday show cancelled
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 08:56:06 pm »
Too bad for anyone planning to attend RIAT on Saturday - it has been cancelled:

AIR TATTOO CANCELLED SATURDAYDue to the unusually heavy rainfall during the past 72 hours, a decision has been made by the organisers of the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire to cancel the airshow on Saturday, July 12.

The cancellation of the airshow on Saturday follows a sustained period of heavy rainfall that has resulted in waterlogged conditions not only in the public car parks but also on the airfield itself. The decision was taken following consultation with the police and other safety services.

Air Tattoo Director Tim Prince said it was the first time the Air Tattoo had ever had to cancel one of its days in its 38-year history.

“It is with great regret that we had to take the decision to cancel the airshow on the Saturday but the safety of the public is paramount.

“When it became clear that we could not guarantee the safety of the many thousands of people who had bought tickets for Saturday, the decision to cancel was straightforward.

“We are aware of the inconvenience our decision will have on the many thousands of people who have bought tickets for the Saturday but the potential risk of there being significant difficulties on the roads, in our car parks on the airbase itself were too high.”

It is anticipated that the show will be held on Sunday but it will be only for holders of tickets valid for Sunday. A decision in respect of this will be announced by 4pm on Saturday.

Please note that Saturday tickets will not be valid for Sunday.

Refund details for tickets bought for Saturday, July 12, can be found on the Royal International Air Tattoo website at www.airtattoo.com . For further enquiries contact refunds@rafcte.com

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 12:11:46 pm »
Yer, what a bummer!  We heard it last night in the B7B.  Hopefully tomorrow will go ahead but its touch and go.  Joey1, my heart goes out you, seeing as you are only doing the one day as far as I know.  We have just come up to London for the day and will be heading out to Heathrow shortly to, at least see some aircraft today!

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »
Sunday's show is now off also - intensely disappointing, I'm sure, for those who have travelled for the show.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2008, 08:24:19 pm »
Hi all

Travelled to see an Airshow, ended up going to the zoo!!!! I could have gone to the Phoenix Park and saved a bundle ……. :rotfl:

Sorry just me letting off steam folks not long home

Seriously I totally understand that safety MUST come first, but it looks like a sign of things to come regarding the weather although Saturday and Sunday ironically the weather turned out to be fine the damage was already done Thursday and Friday.

I’m no landscape artist but I’d say a serious lack of drainage was partly the blame and this is probably going to be an on-going problem so maybe a change of venue in the future or tackle the waterlog issue would be the first thing on the agenda before organising next year's RIAT..... :(

Has any other member any other woes  or ideas or should I just keep my opinions to myself :-X

Offline Paul McA

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 03:25:10 pm »
Torential downpours just seem to be part of our Summer weather now...Newtownards Airshow had to be cancelled a few years back for the very same reason as RIAT.
Drainage can only do so much-A sudden mass downpour is always going to cause massive problems at airfields-by their very nature they are generally flat places and therefore the water has no where to go.

Belfast International Airport`s terminal has suffered flooding for the past 3 years in the summer and the terminal had to be closed for a time.

I don`t think there is any easy fix for this problem other than trying to use paved car park area`s,or run shuttle buses if some suitible park and ride scheme could be used.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 05:00:59 pm »
Hi Paul :smile:
I remember last year Newtownards was threatened with cancellation because of the same problem but the airfield managed to dry just enough to put on the show

Last year Fairford had a fair amount of rain it wasn’t as bad though still the signs are there that our summers have changed, so your suggestion of paved carparks is probably the way to go. I don’t know if the RAF own the lands that provide the carpark facilities ???

As for shuttle busses they already provide shuttle busses from Swindon Train station for spectators who travel on foot, I did it last year and it was great !!!

I think it would be a logistical nightmare not to have on-site carparks as well as try to provide park n ride facilities to deal with the huge numbers of spectators  it would mean a strict flying time constraint to allow spectators gain access to the show
It would have to be the trade off

I suspect that emergency vehicles having difficulty gaining access to any of the fields   was another reason as to the cancellations

Id say a lot of spectators would have headed to Duxford for the Flying Legends Airshow
To try salvage the day sometimes airshow clashes can have it's advantages

VULCAN did you get to Duxford cos id say you were mighty P****d off too given the fact you booked both days :banghead:

Thanks Vulcan for your thoughts earlier in the thread ! :biggrin: I'll probably focus on Duxford in Sept or October

!Gotta get my fix whatever it takes!!!!!! :'(
travel wise Duxford seems to be easily accessible
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:21:28 am by joey1 »

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 11:39:23 pm »
Hi all

A Q&A session was posted on the RIAT homepage detailing the reasons for the cancellation of this year’s RIAT 2008

My suspicions were right about the Emergency access and why a park n Ride facility was not an option

Just click on the link below

http://www.airtattoo.com/airtattoo/cancellation/Q%20and%20A's

Here's hoping for a better outcome next year folks!!!!! :bowdown: