Author Topic: RIAT 2010  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
Re: RIAT 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 03:52:33 pm »
not on the Official RIAT Page

Swedish AS39C Gripen  F7 Wing making a return ??? :jaw-dropping:

And the flying Harrier GR7 is a nice addition.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:53 pm »
The above aircraft now officialy added to  the RIAT site  I also see  2 Tornado GR4s flying maybe a role demo return ?
May You Be In Heaven Half an hour before The Devil Knows Your Dead

Offline Baldonnel-boy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 10:11:36 pm »
Latest update has some nice additions  :thumbsup:

Re: RIAT 2010 participation thread

RAF
King Air- 45 (R) Squadron(f)
Chinook HC2- 18 (B)/27 Squadron(f) :buttrock:
Hawk T1- 19 (R) Squadron (s)
Merlin HC3- 28 (AC) Squadron(s)
Nimrod MRA4- Nimrod IPT (s)
Seaking HAR3- 22 Squadron, A Flt (s)
Seaking HAR3- 203 (R) Squadron (sp)
VC-10- 101 Squadron (s)

US Air Force Global Strike Command
B-52H Stratofortress- 5 BW (s)
B-52H Stratofortress- 5 BW (f) :buttrock:

US Air Force Special Operations Command
MC-130H Combat Talon II (s)
MC-130P Combat Shadow (s)

US Air Forces Europe
C-130J Hercules (s)
C-21A (s)
F-15C/E (s)
F-16CJ (s)
HH-60G (s)
KC-135R (s)

German Air Force
C-160D Transall (s)
F-4F Phantom (s) :buttrock: :buttrock:
Tornado IDS (s)

German Army Aviation
CH-53G/GS (s)

Royal Netherlands Air Force
AS532U2- 300 Sqn (s)
AH-64DN Apache- 301 Sqn (f) :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Civilian
Alpha Jet (x2) Griffon Aerospace (s)
Airbus A400M- Airbus Military (f) :buttrock:
DHC1 Chipmunk T22 Aurelio Bernardino (s)
Diamond DA40 Bournemouth Flying Club (s)
Falcon 20 Cobham (s)
Extra 400 Bruno Stocker (s)
Hunter FGA9- Hunter Display Team (s)
Hunter PR11- Hunter Display Team (s)
Hunter T.7A- Delta Jets (s)
Hunter T.7A- Delta Jets (s)
SR22- Bruno Stocker (s)
Super King Air 350CER- Cobham (s)
TB20- Bruno Stocker (s)

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »
Starting to looking really good. That list is on top of 10 or 11 fast jet displays, 4 display teams and also the distinct possibility of even more in the form of B1 and Vulcan, although a B2 now looks remote.  Gonna be a good one.

Offline Stanly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 04:04:18 pm »
Let's hope the ash has gone back to Iceland......................... :duh:

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:47 pm »
Is the Airbus A400M an airshow exclusive? :jaw-dropping:

This years RIAT looking like a cracking show and its only May :buttrock:

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 01:59:18 pm »
Is the Airbus A400M an airshow exclusive? 

Don't think so, I think it's also showing up at ILA Berlin in a few weeks. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing that bird fly.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 12:06:49 pm »
Im thinking about going to the show this year, but a few questions.Number 1, tickets!what sort of ticket should i buy?i was on RIAT's website and there are more tickets and passes than i can think off, quite confusing.Is there a ticket that allows you to walk along the static display and still get a good spot on the flightline?

Number 2, Is the display the exact same on both days and is it worth going both days?

Number 3, Accomadation, any recommendations from those of you that were there before?

Cheers.
above and beyond

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 10:11:19 am »
Im thinking about going to the show this year, but a few questions.Number 1, tickets!what sort of ticket should i buy?i was on RIAT's website and there are more tickets and passes than i can think off, quite confusing.Is there a ticket that allows you to walk along the static display and still get a good spot on the flightline?

Number 2, Is the display the exact same on both days and is it worth going both days?

Number 3, Accomadation, any recommendations from those of you that were there before?

Cheers.

Id recommend going for sure but to answer your questions.

Number 1.  Buying any of the entrance tickets will allow you to go around the static park and find yourself a spot to see the flying. In addition you can buy one of the the other tickets, public grandstand, Jubilee garden, etc., but you have to buy an entrance ticket as well.  We get tickets for both days with public grandstand on one day.

Number2.  The flying display is, in the main, the same both days, although there maybe the odd act that maybe only appearing on one day (that is usually advertised) and if it is a very full flying display, then they might have certain acts on one day. The main headliners, though, are usually on both days.  I would certainly recommend going both days as it is such a big show it is difficult to do everything in one day. Remember that the flying displays start at around 09.30 - 10.00 and go straight through till 17.00 -17.30. We do both days which allows us to take in the flying on one day and the static and all the other attractions and anything that is flying that wasn't on the first day, on the second.

Number3. This might be the most difficult question for you. You will be hard pushed to find accomadation in Swindon at this late stage un less you want to pay through the nose for it. Not saying there is nothing there, but you may have to look a little farther a field, not too bad if you are driving. If, like us, you're not driving then try in places that are on the train line ie. Bath, Chippenham, or even Bristol. Bristol is about 40 mins on the train. There is a shuttle bus from Swindon Bus station to the air field.

Hope this is of some help.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »
I concur with Vulcan spot on

To further add to  the Accommodation point .Vulcan’s  right about availability  all b&bs will take full advantage of the week that’s in it and increase their prices you’ll be hard pressed to find anything near Swindon at this late stage  it also depend on where your travelling from  …

Let’s assume your travelling by air, so Bristol is where it all begins Hotels are reasonable around Bristol even around the time Riat

Last year I stayed at Express By Holiday Iinn Bristol parkway beside Bristol parkway train station
prices start around £70 for a double room per night  it’s around 35/40 mins by rail  to Swindon train station

Then you get the special Air Tattoo shuttle bus from Swindon bus station to the Airshow
I highly recommend the shuttle bus as the local authorities have a system so that the shuttle bus is given  a designated route to avoid all traffic travelling to the show  :thumbsup:

The trade off at this point is the commuting to and from the show back to your hotel each day if you’re going to be attending both days  ???

As for what to do at the show........... Here's My tip

Day 1 Flying displays I Recommend  the Grandstand seating for an uninterupted veiw of the flying displays
Day 2 Static Displays and general walking around visiting  the other attractions
you will still see the flying while walking wear comfortable shoes   :airforce_laugh:

The above advice  will also depend on the weather conditions on the day in question

Good luck on your quest

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice and replies.I think im going to go ahead and book flights and accommadation tomorrow.I found a lodge in gloucester about 16 miles from Fairford for £120 for 3 nights , so i'll just taxi it or bus it from there.Return flights, a roof over my head and tickets to the airshow should be had for around £230-50.Not too bad!anyone else staying in gloucester?
above and beyond

Offline Baldonnel-boy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 07:27:01 am »
What part of Gloucester  are you staying in? 
as far as I'm aware there are no buses running from Gloucester  to the show ,so the best option would be the train to Swindon and the shuttle from there,
http://www.militaryairshows.co.uk/ven/ven3map.htm
However I will be staying with my sister near Gloucester town and as I'm bringing the car if you are staying nearby I'm sure we could arrange a lift, we are heading over on the Wednesday to catch the arrivals and practice on Thursday and Friday .
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:30:31 am by Baldonnel-boy »

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 09:14:14 am »
Baldonnel-boy, im staying in the city lodge guest house on 72 weston road.The website says it's right in the middle of the city.A lift would be great and if we could arrange it, thanks.Im really looking forward to it now.Im just going to head over on the friday and hopefully the weather will hold up too!Im hoping there will be a MiG-29 there!that would make the weekend for me!
above and beyond

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 11:35:52 am »
 A Sneaky up date today. These are the additions

RAF
E3D Sentry- 8 SQN (s)
Merlin HC3- 28 (AC) Squadron (f)
Puma HC1- 33 Squadron (s)
Torndo GR4- 9 (B) Squadron (s)
Tucano T1- 72 (R) Squadron (s)

US
MC-130H/P  (f) :buttrock:
MC-130E, 711th SOS  (s)
C-17A Globemaster III- 58 AS, 97 AMW (f)  :buttrock: :buttrock:
VQ-3 E-6B (s)

US Air Education & Training Command
KC-135R Stratotanker- 97 AMW (f)
TG-10C- 94 FTS, 306 TRW (F)

Royal Norwegian Air Force

F-16AM/BM (x2)- 338 skv, 138 Luftving (s)
Belgian Air Component
Embraer ERJ-135- 15 Wing (sp)

Royal Danish Air Force
CL-604 Challenger- Esk 721 (s)
T-17 Supporter (x2)- FLSK (s)

Royal Netherlands Air Force
AH-64DN Apache- 301 Squadron (s)
F-16AM MLU (x2)- tbc (s)

Civilian

Aermacchi M311- Finmeccanica (s)
BAC Strikemaster- Gerald Williams (s)
Cessna 172- Marshall Group (v)
Cessna Citation- Marshall Group (v)
Cessna FR172- G-ROKT Flying Club (v)
Piper Aztec- Marshall Group (v)
EV97 Eurostar- RAF Halton Microlight Club (s)
T600N Thruster Sprint- RAF Halton Microlight Club (s)
Messerschmitt Bf109 G4- EADS (f)  
Slingsby T21- tbc (s)
Spitfire HFIXe- The Kent Spitfire (f)

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 02:39:29 pm »
RAF’S FUTURE AIRLIFTER IN UK DISPLAY DEBUT

The Royal Air Force’s much-debated next-generation airlifter will be unveiled to the British public in July when it makes its UK flying display debut at the Royal International Air Tattoo.
Airbus’s chief military test pilot Ed Strongman will be at the controls of the A400M when it displays at the airshow, at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire on July 17&18.
The aircraft, which is designed to fly troops and equipment, was due to go into service this year, but is now unlikely to be operational before 2012. Its appearance will provide the first opportunity for the public to see the culmination of a two-decade long project to develop a future military transport aircraft.
Due, ultimately, to replace the RAF’s C-130 Hercules fleet, the A400M can travel further and faster than most current in-service airlifters and can carry larger payloads. It is also far more flexible.
Chris Pocock, Defence Editor for Aviation International News said: “When they first see it, most people will be surprised at the size of Europe's new airlifter. Thanks to its huge turboprops mounted on a swept wing, the A400M combines a high cruising speed at altitude with excellent slow-speed tactical performance, and the capacity to carry a variety of large military and humanitarian loads.”
This summer’s Royal International Air Tattoo will feature around 300 aircraft from across the globe, including the US Air Force F-22 Raptor, Romanian Air Force MiG-21s and Polish Air Force Su-22s. The event has also been chosen by the Royal Air Force to stage its flagship commemoration of the Battle of Britain, on its 70th anniversary.
In addition to the flying display, visitors can enjoy a large static aircraft park plus a wide range of ground-based activities including a concert stage, Battle of Britain ‘Village’, plus the interactive Tri@RIAT area for youngsters. For details and to buy tickets, visit airtattoo.com
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com