Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 1366 times)

Offline huge_dave

• View Profile
Need Advice
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:25:45 pm »
Hey guys, this is my first post here so bare with me please  :smile:

I have been reading through many topics for quite some time now as I am preparing for the next time the IAC decide to recruit. I have read through many great posts and find this site very informative which is helping me quite a bit.

OK so i need some advice, I finished my LC in 2008 and now currently studying electronic engineering in DCU. I have wanted to join the IAC for years but then in my sixth year in school my guidance councilor decided to tell me i needed a third language ( which i did not have, i dropped German after Junior Cert). This is the only thing i am worried about and afraid that this alone will be the only reason that will make me unable to join. Do u guys no if this is a major problem?

I have no problem in trying to do night courses of German to bring me up to LC level if it needs be, but, the long hours of an engineering course make it difficult, along with work and football traing.

Also while im here, do you guys think that competition will be a lot higher the next time recruitment opens as they have not recruited this year, nor last.

Regards
Dave  :upside:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:48:59 pm by huge_dave »

Offline Broc

• View Profile
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »
Dave,
www.military.ie should spell it out in the careers section. From what I understand the foreign language was included in the 'minimum education requirements' to mirror most CAO courses which had a similar requirement. In that respect it could be aimed specifically at school-leavers as opposed to college graduates. I recall the education part of the career booklet contained a phrase along the lines of 'leaving cert inc three higher Cs and three passes to inc a modern european language OR a standard of education the minister deems suitable.'

A college qualification is a higher qualification than the leaving cert so whether or not you have a language at L.C. level might not matter.

That's my two cents anyway but try the above website, at the very least it might have a direct contact to the employment officer.

Offline huge_dave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:03:34 pm »
"OR a standard of education the minister deems suitable."
^^ This would be my only argument because i am accepted to an Irish University so therefore i should be able to apply for the IAC.

Anyway i will just have to wait until competition opens again to find out. Hopefully it will be this september but I dont mind waiting until next year either way.  :grinning:

Cheers for the reply Broc  :bowdown:

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:39:59 pm »
my guidance councilor decided to tell me i needed a third language

If you can speak "Bull..." it helps!!!  :airforce_laugh:

Only joking..ahem!!

Good luck with applying.