Author Topic: Waterford SAR to go to 12 hrs in new contract  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Pink Panther

• View Profile
Re: Waterford SAR to go to 12 hrs in new contract
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »
Here you go.

DAIL DEBATE 24TH MARCH 2010 [extract]
Air Rescue Services.

Deputy Fergus O’Dowd: If the 12-hour one is there, the fact is that it will not be there for 24 hours. The final point is who owns the helicopters? At the end of this period the Canadian company will have the helicopters, whereas if the Air Corps had them it would have them for ever. That is the other point; the Minister is wasting good money.

An Leas-Cheann Comhairle: Please Deputy, I must call the next question.

Deputy Noel Dempsey: The Air Corps was asked about this and it does not want anything to do with search and rescue.

Briefly, as I said before the people who make the decisions for the AC are not interested in SAR anymore, I don't know why. As an aside, the RAF have now pulled all their Nimrods from service for the time been. Lets hope it doesn't mean a reduction in top cover for SAR, time will tell.

Offline heligaz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:29 pm »
We don't have enough helis to start with and all the 139 fleet would need ro be modified for the full SAR coverage inland and over the sea. Secondly the Air Corps do occasionly do top cover for the Irish Coast Guard S-61Ns with the CASA's. If you look to the UK private companies are soon taking over the SAR role from the RAF with S-92s.

Offline Lootenant Pigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:38 am »

Thanks lads. But where does it all end ? If you extend this " value for money " Govt argument far enough sure you could wind up with a privatised Air Corps ! Ridiculous stuff. :airforce_rolleyes: Unlikely I know, but Im playing devils advocate here.

Offline heligaz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »
Not much this country can do now,that its broke. Anyways CHC are doing a brilliant job.  :airforce_laugh: