Author Topic: A message for all photo uploaders  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
A message for all photo uploaders
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:36:33 pm »
For all of you who have uploaded pictures in the last few weeks I apologise for the delay in screening pictures.

Between being made redundant, doing an outplacement course (CV writing course), travelling and getting trapped in the UK by a bloody volcano I've fallen behind with the photo screening but I'm currently working through the queue.

(I don't advertise in advance on the web when I'm travelling in case some gouger sees my post and calls around to help themselves to my PC & collection of Faberge eggs.)

Anyway, please accept my apologies,

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline corkspotter

• Screener
    • View Profile
Re: A message for all photo uploaders
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:00:40 am »
No need to apologise Frank!

Now to send more to ya, well in a bit anyway!!

Regards,

Paul

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
A message for all photo uploaders
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »
Hi Guys,

To try and cut down on my workload with regards to running the site I'm recruiting screeners (click here) but I'm also going to introduce a few changes with regards to screening pictures.

I would like to say this first though, just so we're all clear on the photo screening process:

If I decline a picture for a given reason it is nothing personal, I do not hate you, and it does not mean that I never want to see that picture or your pictures ever again.

Here are some things you should note:

• Every picture declined has a reason supplied in the email that you are sent to inform you of the decision
  • The intention is that you read the reject reason and fix the problem then re-submit the picture
  • If you think the reject reason is wrong you can contact me and appeal the decision
  • A lot of the time pictures declined for "Poor Quality" can be re-submitted as sometimes the problem is caused by using a low picture quality when saving the picture post editing. Sometimes however the problem can be caused by the camera in the first place (incorrect settings, poor sensor quality, low mega-pixels, etc)

In the past rather than decline a picture I've slightly tweaked the picture and accepted it. This practise really is counter-productive as it adds to my workload and insulates the photographer from issues with their pictures.

So starting from today, Wednesday 30th June 2010, any picture uploaded will not be tweaked, it will be accepted or declined as it is.

This may result in a spike of declined pictures, all I ask is that you please bear with me and read the reason for the picture being declined, and remember, I do not hate you and I have nothing against you!

One reject reason that causes the most problems and appeals is the one for the picture not being level. This can be tricky, and deceiving. For example, if the aircraft is on a runway or taxiway and the runway / taxiway appears to be sloped I need to try and figure out if the runway / taxiway is indeed actually sloped.

For example, parts of the ramps at Dublin & Cork airports are sloped so it is necessary to look for other clues such as buildings or light poles. Unfortunately sometimes even the light poles at airports are not vertical so these may give you a false reference.

So in future, until I can put some guide together, I'll try my best to indicate what the problem is with images declined for level.

As always, comments & suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Frank.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:41:51 am by Frank »
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

SteveRendle

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:22:08 pm »
Hi Frank/All

I welcome the news that you hope to recruit some screeners to IAP/WAP and I am sure that those selected will do an admirable job.

We have what I believe to be one, If not the best aviation photography website on the net.

I will not be offering my services as a screener. I screened for a while when I was uploading to Air-Britain and confess to not enjoying it at all.

I look forward to seeing the upload queue moving a little faster which will enable us all to upload more images and the site(s) to go on to reach their full potential.

Regards

Steve

Offline thurian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:13:37 am »
Hi Frank, that all seems fair enough and I hope you get back to work soon. :applause: