Author Topic: To watermark or not to watermark  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
To watermark or not to watermark
« on: May 27, 2010, 05:42:28 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've had some complaints today regarding photographs being used without permission, for example, in various YouTube videos.

So, I'm proposing adding a watermarking feature for any pictures that are uploaded.

I've attached 2 test images below, one has a black background while the other is a picture of an aircraft with blue skies / clouds in the background.

I have pasted 3 different watermark features top to bottom on each image, for now lets call them faint, medium & heavy, top being faint, medium in the middle and heavy at the bottom.

If I add this, well ok, lets face it, I am going to add this but it will be optional, will anybody use it?

The options I plan to add are:

Watermark on / off
Faint / Medium / Heavy watermark
Top / Middle / Bottom (or Left, Middle, Right for portrait images)

Should the watermark options be heavier, text be bigger or smaller, etc, etc...

All ideas & suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
Re: To watermark or not to watermark
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 05:55:29 pm »
Good idea Frank, might stop news media taking photos from the site without asking for permission, which has been happening quite a bit of late  :thumbsup:

Joe

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:10:41 pm »
Great Idea Frank, I'm surprised that you've left it so long. I think the choice of options you intend to give are spot on, although they maybe could be a little heavier.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »
Right so, how about now...

SteveRendle

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:18:05 pm »
Hi Frank

I personally upload my images for all to enjoy ( I hope ) and find watermarks spoil my own viewing of others images. I can never be bothered to open any that I can see have a visible watermark.

First I take photographs for my own personal enjoyment. Always trying to improve on my photography and editing skills.

Second when I have left mother earth for the great boneyard in the sky I hope IAP/WAP will still be showing my images to all who wish to look and enjoy without watermarks.

I will be sorry to see images uploaded here with watermarks added, primarily because it will spoil my own viewing preferences.

I have always willingly given my images to magazines, owners of the subject in question, museums/collections and fellow enthusiast often suggesting they make a contribution to a charity of their choice if they so wish.

I know of many collections that have ended up in landfill sites or burnt on the bonfire because the photographers descendants do not know the historical value of them. The web now allows us to share our images and I take great joy in knowing my images will live on long after I have gone.

Sorry to ramble on. Frank I for one will not be using the watermark feature.

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:44:51 pm »
I tend to agree with Stephen, as anything other than a faint watermark often does mar an otherwise good image, in my opinion.  I think I'd be inclined to use such a feature only where I thought a photo was especially likely to be "lifted", e.g. for reasons of obvious newsworthiness.

Surely the solution when news media take images without permission is for the photographer to chase them for payment, if he/she so wishes.  In my experience, reputable organisations of whatever sort are normally willing to pay something for usage, though you won't get rich on the proceeds!  I don't think the kind of people you take photos for Youtube "videos" are going to be dissuaded by a watermark, either.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »
Some good arguments here.

However, it's all well and good saying you can chase down reputable organisations for a credit or payment but what if you don't know about the picture being used in the first place?

For example, I had a picture used in an advert for remote control aircraft jet engines and didn't find out about it until a friend saw the advert and thought he recognised the picture.

I spent thousands on my camera gear and lots more than that on travel, I didn't spend that cash to have pictures appear uncredited.

You may or may not have noticed that all the pictures in the reports section are watermarked, is that causing viewing issues?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:41:09 pm by Frank »

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »
Now, to continue on from my post above...

(I posted using my phone and my battery was dying, I had to post before the phone shut down and I didn't want to waste the previous 10 minutes typing on a small keypad!)

I can introduce the facility where members of the site can view the pictures watermark free, and of course, the use of the watermark in the first place would be totally optional to the person uploading.

Regards,

Frank.

SteveRendle

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58:31 pm »
I accept that this topic will run and run with no eventual winner. It is purely a matter for the individual to have their own preferences when uploading their images.

I also have cameras and lenses running into a four figure sum. But I am not a professional wishing to make money from my hobby. For me it is personal enjoyment.

If I was worried about the illegal use of my images I would not upload here or any other website. But by uploading here with the limited protection that the site can give you also gives you a free portfolio allowing the law abiding viewer to contact you regarding the use of your images for a fee.

You may or may not have noticed that all the pictures in the reports section are watermarked, is that causing viewing issues?

Personally like I said in my first reply - Yes it does.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 11:25:29 pm »
I don't ever expect to be a professional (nothing wrong with living in hope though) but you would think that after going to all the expense & effort of taking the photos that someone would at least do you the courtesy of crediting the photographer when a picture is used?

I really didn't think this would be a tricky issue.

If site members got to view the pictures watermark free would that be a compromise?

Offline Paul McA

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:29:50 am »
Watermarks in photos can be a real pain,but your idea Frank of allowing members to view the pics without the watermark is a good one. :applause:

I have had a few pics stolen by a local Helicopter company recently,not lifted from this site-but I have had some difficulty getting them removed.

I have no problem letting company`s or magazines use my photos as long as they ask permission and credit the photo correctly.

Stealing pictures and doctoring them for use on other websites (especially commercial sites) does seem to be a growing problem-the helicopter company that stole my pictures have failed to respond to my emails and seem to think they can just ignore copyright law-WRONG!

I now have a solicitor involved,due to the arrogance of the company involved;I`m not interested in monetary gain: I just want to make the point that stealing photos for commercial use is not acceptable,and illegal.

SteveRendle

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 12:32:07 am »
Hi Frank

Certainly it would be great for site members to see images without the watermark.

But like I stated in my previous post I personally will not watermark for all the reasons I have laid out.

I guess that this problem will always crop up on any image based website.

You can please some of the people some of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. :banghead:

We all have opinions but not necessarily the right ones. :fryingpan:

Offline corkspotter

• Screener
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 01:16:20 am »
Evening Frank and all,

Like Frank and Paul I recently came across some of my photos that were used elswhere without permission. Now the only problem that I have after the rage in me calmed down was that I was never asked for permission. The answer I would of gave of course would have been yes, but its all about the courtesy.

Although the watermark maybe a small bit of eyesore, it might stop people taking photos or at least email the photogapher for permission who in turn can email an original copy. However, the idea of members been the only people able to see the photos watermark free is a great idea, as all members of the site are more or less regular uploaders or respected members of the forum.

I personally would go for the halfway watermark, not to dark or light! And for the record, Steve I enjoy looking at your photos!!!!!!

Regards,

Paul

Offline CK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 07:01:59 pm »
Good idea Frank about the watermark.  I think the compromise with members being able to view photos without the watermark is best.

Offline thurian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »
Hi Frank, I think you should provide the option of a watermark, maybe with different sizes as well as different shades. If I go to the trouble of taking as good a shot as I can with the limited equipment and skills that I possess and if they're deemed good enough by you to include on your site I'm happy for others to view them and hopefully enjoy them, but I don't want them used commercially by some company just because they can nick them! If they want to use one of my pics (some hope!) they should ask and my name should remain on the bottom of photo.   ::)