Author Topic: Understanding Air Corps markings  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Re: Understanding Air Corps markings
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 08:03:06 pm »
I do not believe that a flag as such was carried on Air Corps aircraft (as seen on the A111's) so there is no protocol involved, note that the A111's also had the G/W/O on the underside as well.My posts showing the boss, marked 202A and 202B port and starboard are the correct form for applying the boss on the A111.
My initial post was to show the anomalies which occured from time to time.
It was during the Emergency that the confusion occured and boy did it occur, that is what I meant by a headache.
Two examples, Hurricane 110 and Seafire 146 show differences as seen on the starboard on both sides.
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 09:34:13 pm »
Hi there,
There was always confusion about how the tricolour should be painted, ie green leading on one side and trailing on the other.The answer is simple: it is always orientated in the correct fashion, upright and Green to the left, regardless of which side or which part of the aircraft or ship or vehicle it is painted onto.As for painting roundels, it's as difficult in real life as it is on models.It helps if the angle between each colour of the roudel is measured properly at 120 degrees. As Tony will testify, there were always errors on markings on Air Corps aircraft and there probably always will be.Certainly, it wasn't until the Marchettis and Cessnas were getting a lot of overhauls done, close together, than any attempt at standardisation was carried out. Sure, the Fougas retained French spelling and radio codes until they were retired.
regards
GttC

Offline R.P.Y.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 10:21:07 pm »
Lads,
Just remember the 3 colour one should always sit on the orange!
Steve.  :biggrin: