Author Topic: Slight changes to the homepage / screening queue  (Read 1157 times)

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Slight changes to the homepage / screening queue
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »
I've made a few slight changes to the homepage and the screening process, details are as follows:

Homepage
I've changed the middle block of the "Top Shots" section, the "Top of Last..." to display the top pictures of the last 48 hours instead of the last 7 days, this will hopefully allow for a greater turnover of pictures on the homepage.

If for whatever reason no pictures have been added in the last 48 hours this section will automatically default back to displaying the top pictures of the last 7 days.

Screening Process
To help ensure that there is a constant turnover of pictures on the homepage I've implemented what can be best described as an "approved & queued" system.

Basically what this means is that, if for example myself or the other screeners are unable to screen pictures for a few days due to the likes of work, sickness or travel, I can now approve pictures as normal but instead of the picture being displayed on the website immediately it goes into an automated queue that displays the pre-approved pictures at a rate of 1 picture every 2 hours.

Hopefully these changes will keep the website refreshed more often than it is now.

As always feedback, comments & suggestions are more than welcome.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Stanly

• View Profile
Re: Slight changes to the homepage / screening queue
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »
Sound good Frank - anything to keep us ahead of the posse! :applause:

SteveRendle

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:09:57 pm »
Sorry but changes to the screening process just do not make any sense ???

So now my image sits in the upload queue for 4 or 5 days then gets rejected. I re-edit and it sits in the upload queue for another 4 or 5 days. It is now accepted image no 36 edited on the day. My image now sits another 3 days before its seen on the website.

I had hoped that introducing extra screeners would lessen the screening queues allowing for more uploads and strengthening both IAP and WAP

I only have the best interest of both sites in mind. But being a contributor I feel that this is a retrograde step and I think most photographers want to see their images added to the websites sooner rather than later.

Rant over

Steve

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:05:05 pm »
Hi Steve,

The changes I have made are a recognition of the fact that I cannot screen pictures every day, or that I cannot screen as many pictures as I would like per day. Now, while screening pictures I can flag a few for delayed publication on the site, this will allow me to, for example, go to an air show or as happened last week go to a job interview, and still have pictures appear on the website.

It's not ideal but it's an acknowledgement of the fact that I can't screen pictures every day but it keeps the homepage content changing regularly rather than having pictures appearing in large batches. The more the content of a website changes the more people will tend to visit it, that can only be beneficial to all photographers.

Yes I know it takes a while for me to work through the queue but I like to think that I consider each picture on it's merit's, and generally speaking if I do have to decline a picture I include either a brief explanation of why I declined it or suggest how to fix it, all that takes time.

The changes above are part of an overhaul of the website back end that will allow for more screeners and should also help speed up the screen process by removing any ambiguity, or at least remove as much as possible. You have to understand that I'm not a software programmer so this website has been pieced together as I went along.

Airliners.net takes over a week to screen pictures, yes they get way more pictures submitted than I do but they also have more screeners, they are also more ruthless, I tend to mull over a decision before declining a picture, I'll always look for a way to accept it.

I really want to keep standards on the site as high as possible, I accept some photos that in my head I shouldn't accept because the quality or editing is borderline but I feel bad declining every picture so I let some slip through. Like I said in another thread, sometimes it feels like some photographers are just dumping the contents of their hard drive into the upload queue.

I changed the "Top of..." section on the homepage to 2 days, down from 7, this is to encourage me, and the other screeners when they come on board fully, to ensure a quicker turnaround of pictures in the queue.

If you are in a hurry to have a particular picture screened you can use the new upload page:

http://www.worldairpics.com/upload/

There is an option here to submit a picture for priority screening, I get a text message direct to my phone if there is a priority upload so you can be assured of a faster turn around on a priority upload picture.

I hope this answers some of your concerns.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com