Author Topic: The Pink Panther and the I.A.C.  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
The Pink Panther and the I.A.C.
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:29:46 pm »
Cartoon-based artwork seems to be a recurring theme when it comes to Irish Air Corps aircraft. The Fairey Battle, SIAI Marchetti and Cessnas all carried artwork based on well-known cartoon characters. The character most associated with the I.A.C. is the Pink Panther. It seems the Pink Panther was adopted by the helicopter crews and stickers and artwork appeared in various forms on the Alouette III and also on Gazelle 241 for the final years of its service. Can anyone detail the history of the connection between the I.A.C. helicopter crews and the Pink Panther? Who was responsible for its adoption as the unofficial mascot of the helicopter squadron and when did it first appear in Baldonnel?

I have heard two stories about how the association started.

The first story claims that Aerospatiale released some promotional literature in 1963 or thereabouts and it featured The Pink Panther. This literature made its way to Baldonnel and because of this, The Pink Panther character was adopted as the unofficial mascot of the helicopter unit within the Irish Air Corps from that time onwards.

The second story states that the arrival of the Alouette III at Baldonnel coincided with the release of the first Pink Panther film and such was the film's popularity that the helicopter crews decided to adopt the pink cat as the unit's mascot.

I don't know which of these stories are true but I'd love to know the full story. Maybe it's a combination of the two. The connection between the I.A.C. Alouette III and its crews and The Pink Panther was obviously quite strong though. After all, A196 nearly flew at Baldonnel on the  21st of September 2007 with a giant Pink Panther figure adorning the length of its tailboom! But that's another story. Hopefully the Pink Panther will reappear on the AW139 or EC135 at some point in the future. Thanks.

BM. :ireland:  

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:03:44 pm by Blue Monday »

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Re: The Pink Panther and the I.A.C.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:00:38 pm »
Blue Monday,
Papa242 is one of the people responsible for defacing the ministers property ie AlouetteIII's and bone domes :rotfl: I am sure that if he sees this he will explain the history of the Pink Panther :biggrin:

You also mention the painting of the one at the time of their withdrawl. I remember that you asked about it at the time, but it was removed before it was finished. I did not want to put  it up on the forum at the time as you will understand, I will try and dig it out now that a period has passed.
Tony K

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »
Tony, thanks for your input on this. As you say, hopefully P242 will be along with the full story. I know it will be interesting. I really wish the green light was given for that retirement scheme on A196. It would have been spectacular and a fitting send-off for these great machines. Thanks.

BM.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »
Interesting stuff.

For gods sake Tony...will ya ever write that AC book ??!! :airforce_grin:

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:32:31 pm »
Interesting stuff.

For gods sake Tony...will ya ever write that AC book ??!! :airforce_grin:

;D

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:07:39 pm »
Blue Monday,
Papa242 is one of the people responsible for defacing the ministers property ie AlouetteIII's and bone domes :rotfl: I am sure that if he sees this he will explain the history of the Pink Panther :biggrin:

You also mention the painting of the one at the time of their withdrawl. I remember that you asked about it at the time, but it was removed before it was finished. I did not want to put  it up on the forum at the time as you will understand, I will try and dig it out now that a period has passed.
Tony K

Tony, believe or not, I have few pictures of the Pink Panther 'tail art' on the CD just inches from my hand. Unfortunately, can't stick up any of it as it wasn't me who took those photographs...
Non multi sed multa

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »
FiSe, is there any chance you can describe fully the contents of the images that you have? The only photo I have of A196 shows the tailboom partially covered with plastic sheeting, so it is difficult to see exactly how the finished article might have looked. I know the tricolour on the tailboom was painted over, but was the roundel on the rear fuselage also painted over? Was the roundel moved further forward? Was the artwork only on the tailboom or did it extend onto the rear fuselage? Do you know if any text was going to be added to the artwork and what it was? Was the artwork completed fully before it was removed or was it only partially done? Thanks for any extra information you can share.

BM. :ireland:

Offline elmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 05:55:25 pm »
Tony, believe or not, I have few pictures of the Pink Panther 'tail art' on the CD just inches from my hand. Unfortunately, can't stick up any of it as it wasn't me who took those photographs...
Could you ask the permission of the author of the photo's? Or maybe, with a reasonable explanation you could tell the photographer that they were posted out of several requests due to increasing interest. Its up to you but I certainly would love a peak at the rare pic's.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:56:57 pm »
Could you ask the permission of the author of the photo's? Or maybe, with a reasonable explanation you could tell the photographer that they were posted out of several requests due to increasing interest. Its up to you but I certainly would love a peak at the rare pic's.

Me too!!

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »
I agree with Machlooper, it would not be a good idea to put them up at the moment, dont want to make it difficult for anyone.
Tony K

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 08:33:28 pm »
I have to agree with two previous posts, as I understand this is a very sensitive issue and I don't want to  :stirthepot: Sorry...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:52:23 am by FiSe »
Non multi sed multa

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:28:33 pm »
I know the modified paintwork on A196 didn't meet with official approval at the time, hence its quick re-spray but are the people responsible (and I have to say I support their efforts in modifying that tailboom) still being sought by the authorities? If this is still a hot topic at Baldonnel then maybe we should let it lie for another while. Thanks.

BM :ireland:

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »
Is this the artwork everyone is asking about? It's already posted on the photographs section of the website

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1011800/L/?&sid=8391396577&sp=143

http://www.worldairpics.com/images/wap_images/1000534.jpg

http://www.worldairpics.com/images/wap_images/1000536.jpg

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1001875/L/?&sid=8391396577&sp=221

And if memory serves the tailboom is on display in the Museum. Will check during the week.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:49:47 pm by Claudel Hopson »

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:57 pm »
Nope, none of the above. The paint scheme being asked about was for the Alouette retirement.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline elmo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:28:17 pm »
And if memory serves the tailboom is on display in the Museum. Will check during the week.

You are correct. The 30 year anniversary tailboom is currently mounted on the training airframe that was used as a method of teaching new technicians how the various mechanisms work on the alouette such as the control inputs from the cyclic, collective and pedals, hence the transparent plexiglass floor. In my opinion and I really want to avoid  :stirthepot: but I think the boys should have been let away with the pink panther scheme because if the swiss can paint an entire machine why cant we just have a tailboom :thumbsup: