Author Topic: The Pink Panther and the I.A.C.  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
Re: The Pink Panther and the I.A.C.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:24 pm »
Machlooper, thanks for that little nugget of information. That's the first I heard that the entire airframe was getting a modified paint scheme. We are slowly building up a picture of "what might have been".

Does anyone know if any drawings would have been created showing the intended paint scheme or was it going to be an "ad-hoc" effort that would have progressed until it looked "right", even if it was an unofficial scheme?

(Again, I am not trying to stir things up in any way, this is simply a topic that is, I believe, of genuine interest to Air Corps fans. I am pretty sure that in many years to come, this scheme will generate much debate and interest. So now is a good time to record this little part of the Alouette III's history.)

Thanks.
BM. :ireland:

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:52:39 am »
Just to give a bit more info on the Pink Panther story, I got this via email this morning from a reliable source:

I heard the story that when the RAF visited us with a Whirlwind on one of the first SAR exchanges in the late sixties they plastered the hangar and aircraft with stickers depicting Mickey Mouse in dayglo silhouette. In retaliation the Air Corps heli crews 'adopted' overnight the Pink Panther and returned the favour by sticking quite a few on the RAF aircraft!! The aim is to put them in inaccessible spots so that you inadvertently advertise the opposition - not sure who won that years' competition!!!
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:58:08 pm »
I heard the story that when the RAF visited us with a Whirlwind on one of the first SAR exchanges in the late sixties they plastered the hangar and aircraft with stickers depicting Mickey Mouse in dayglo silhouette. In retaliation the Air Corps heli crews 'adopted' overnight the Pink Panther and returned the favour by sticking quite a few on the RAF aircraft!! The aim is to put them in inaccessible spots so that you inadvertently advertise the opposition - not sure who won that years' competition!!!
[/quote]

Thanks for that Frank. It looks like that finally explains the connection between the Helicopter Wing and the Pink Panther. It'd be interesting to hear how the Pink Fella came to be chosen above other cartoon characters but I guess we'll never know that for sure. It's a very interesting little story. Thanks for sharing that. Let's hope there is a plentiful supply of Pink Panther stencils at Baldonnel for any future visitors!

Machlooper, thanks for that photo. Do you have more showing A196 prior to that respray?

BM :ireland:

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:45:33 pm »
Frank,
I think that the visit of the Whirlwind was a bit before the Pink Panther time. Whirlwind HAR.10 XP352 "C" Flight 22 Squadron (detachment) at Valley first visited on 7 August 1967 and was accompanied by Pembroke WV749 from the Northern Comms. Squadron. Prior to the Whirlwind leaving it was zapped with a shamrock and when the Alouette 197 visited Valley later it was zapped with the 22 Sqn badge (which it carried for a number of years after).

The group picture shows Heli Flight and RAF personnel with the late Brig Gen (Barney) McMahon 3rd from right back row and Flt.Lt Weaver RAF standing below the cockpit window beside Lt (later Lt Col) JP Kelly.
Tony K

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »
Set up a search programme for my archives ie everything is filed under C for confusion :yikes:. Found this slide dated  August 1975 Alouette 213, Sorry about the quality. That is the size of the Panther on the aircraft and bone domes, it could also be found at different times on the nose of the Alouettes.
Tony K

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 12:54:28 am »
Thanks for that latest update, Tony. It is great to see the original artwork from that far back.

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 02:59:59 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny just noticed the photos on the ‘Pink Panther’ chat page of this chopper.  Westland Whirlwind XP352 HR.Mk.10, It rang a bell, had a look in my log book, It looks like I had a trip in XP352 on 9th March 1975, by this time ‘352’ had moved from 22 Squadron, Valley to ‘B’ Flt 202 Squadron, Based at RAF Leconfield me and three other guys in my ATC unit were involved in a land winching excises on the airfield followed by a 20 min flight around the local area nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon, happy days! My one and  only Whirlwind trip

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 12:10:41 pm »
Thanks for that latest update, Tony. It is great to see the original artwork from that far back.

You are welcome BM, maybe if and or when you build a model of the Alouette with the panther on it you will show it to us!

Ascot 1960, what a coincidence that you should have had a flip in XP352 after it went to 202 Sqn.This unit visited Baldonnel also , with their Wessex and Sea Kings in later years but usually from Chivenor. I notice that I had made a note to myself ( and NO I am not talking to myself.....yet) that XP352 is now in a museum in Germany and painted up as XD186, anyone confirm that?

As another useless piece of information, and following the return of the Alouette 197 after it visit to Valley as a comparison to the qualitites of the two types of Helis. One of the RAF crew is supposed to have said that the Alouette flies over the Welsh Mountains, the Whirlwind flies around them! Apparently they liked the Alouette.
 Tony K

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 01:54:56 pm »
I notice that I had made a note to myself ( and NO I am not talking to myself.....yet) that XP352 is now in a museum in Germany and painted up as XD186, anyone confirm that?

Tony,

I think both are currently at Hermeskeil, the largest private museum in Europe. In face I there are 4 Wessex there. Maybe only two on display. Will dig out the photos later & check.

Joe

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 02:07:57 pm »
Thanks for your informative reply Tony, yes ‘352’ now living out its days in Germany at the Hermeskeil Flugausstellung,) it’s now back in its 22 Squadron markings as XD186 , you talk about 22 and 202 Squadron visits to Ireland, if you go to the 202 Squadron web page
http://www.202-sqn-assoc.co.uk/memories_page_1.html or nav your way to the page go :’Scrapbook’ –‘Memories’-‘Picture postcards’ scroll across the photo page (last photo) you will see a photo taken of 202 squadron members ( all in Civvies) on a visit to Guinness, Dublin, looks like it could be late 1960s or early 70s. It’s amazing what’s out there when you do a bit of digging. Keep up the good work.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
Thanks Joe, Is that the same place where the Vampire 185 is parked out in the open and deteriorating?

Thanks Ascot 1960, the boys from 202 seem to be enjoying the Guinness.
22 Sqn from the Valley detachment undertook more visits including this Wessex XR518 and later 202 Sqn from Chivenor visited with Sea King XZ589, I have attached also the Sea King formating with Dauphin 246 for your interest.
Tony K

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 12:21:53 am »

You are welcome BM, maybe if and or when you build a model of the Alouette with the panther on it you will show it to us![/quote]

Tony, I have an Alouette kit in the pipeline but it won't feature a Pink Panther. I plan to build it as A212 on its last life saving mission on Croagh Patrick in July 2007.

I hope to get it back on my work bench and finish it soon. Thanks.

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »
To continue the Pink Panther theme, I wonder why Clyden Airways DC-3 EI-BDT also carried PP nose art in the early 1980s:

Clyden DC-3 EI-BDT nose art "Pink Panther I" by Irish251, on Flickr

PS: Ascot1960, you were present on this occasion also, I think!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:15:00 pm by Short finals »

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:21 am »
Indeed i was (FG)........

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:02 am »
BDT probably zapped by the Heli boys at some time when it was in Baldonnel January, February and twice in March 1980.
Tony K