Author Topic: PC-9 recon cameras?  (Read 741 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
PC-9 recon cameras?
« on: January 13, 2011, 05:16:57 pm »
Does the PC-9 fleet come equipped with recon cameras/pods?

IIRC, it was common knowledge that the Marchetti's could carry them as required.

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
Re: PC-9 recon cameras?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »
In short, no they dont.
The SF260's could carry the Vinten Reconnaissance Pods fitted with type 360/140A 70mm camera's.
These pods are of course standard NATO fitting so yes you could hang them under the wings but the aircraft would have to be wired etc for them.
A pod was carried under each wing so as to provide a stereoscopic image as the end product, "3D" for want of a better word.
They (The cameras) are also "Wet Film" which will still do the job but in this digital age is relativly time and labour consuming to develop.
Im not 100% sure the pods can be fitted with digital gear , I would like to think they could, but I cant see this happening as the business has dried up in the past 20 years with the peace process etc.
Anyhow, with GASU having they're own aircraft and the continuing development of hand held cameras I cant see them being pressed into service any time soon, indeed they were removed from storage and placed in the museum hanger last year!!  :airforce_cry:

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »
indeed they were removed from storage and placed in the museum hanger last year!!

I must appologise, the aul grey matter is not what it used to be! Thety are not in the museum but still in storage....

:airforce_rolleyes:

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:12:46 am »
...in the rest room?  :rotfl:

I had a big trouble to find any decent pictures of these pods when building model of Marchetti and here they are.
Would I be too cheekey to ask for more photographs, kind like a walkaround of those pods? It's too late for me now, but just to have them for the record.
Thanks
Non multi sed multa

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
...in the rest room?
Well, its actually a colour negative enlarging room. All photo Lab rooms plumbed for draining water, which is a big part in Developing film and printing, but I can see your point  :airforce_tongue: