Author Topic: USS Enterprise to visit Dublin?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Baldonnel-boy

• View Profile
USS Enterprise to visit Dublin?
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:45:04 pm »
From the Seawaves web site...

01 Sep 12
USS Enterprise TBC
CVN 65
Dublin
Navy/Notre Dame game

http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp

Hopefully it will happen... :applause:

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
Re: USS Enterprise to visit Dublin?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:09:19 pm »
Been on the cards for quite a while but everyones keeping quite due to the obvious circumstances of such a visit, ie tree-hugger protest fest as well as the more serious threats.
Can't see it happening as Nuclear Vessels aren't allowed in Irish waters, unless it parks outside our waters.
I'm assuming this will be the case and it will launch Hornets to fly over the Notre Dame V Navy game at the Aviva stadium (the reason for the visit).
If it does drop in, it will be its last ever stop off as it will then be returning to Norfolk, VA to be scrapped :(((

Offline Baldonnel-boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:26 pm »

Can't see it happening as Nuclear Vessels aren't allowed in Irish waters

Thats a pity...  I cant find any mention of that law about them being banned from Irish waters, any chance you could post a link??
All I can find is the Harbour act that stops a nuclear powered or armed vessel entering a port or harbour, and I don't think that would apply to the Enterprise as she's too big to enter Dublin port...

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 07:03:28 pm »
Thats a pity...  I cant find any mention of that law about them being banned from Irish waters, any chance you could post a link??

It's just an assumtion to be honest. Havnt seen that law myself but remember that vessel that was carrying nuclear waste a couple of years ago that was told to steer clear of Irish waters ? I've seen armed vessels in our waters though!!!
Either way, there's nothing to stop her parking off the coast  ;D

Offline Baldonnel-boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »
I think it's only ships carrying nuclear waste that are not allowed in Irish waters, But as the date of the proposed visit of the Big E is still 5 month's away I think the old saying ''Time will tell'' is appropriate in this case ...

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:08:07 pm »
Somewhat out of date, but I believe it reflects the current position.

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0384/D.0384.198811150055.html

Irish territorial waters, under internation law, extend 12 nautical miles from the coast, the economic zone is 200
nm. Easy enough to park just ouside either and fly in a formation for the game if that's the intention. That said, the Oireachtas reply sates not allowing nuclear vessels "vist ports" so dropping anchor out in Dublin Bay might tecnhnically not be in breach of the policy. Either way, I doubt a Nimitz class could fit into Dublin Port.

So you never know. Wasn't there some concern that the JFK might have had nuclear weapons on its visit back in the '90's? It was parked off Dun Laoghaire as it couldn't fit into he port.   

Wonder if they'd let any of the IAC guys in the back seat of an FA-18 for a lauch/landing?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:10:30 pm by Shamrock145 »

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »
Wonder if they'd let any of the IAC guys in the back seat of an FA-18 for a lauch/landing?

Ssssshhhhh!!!!
They'll all be jumping on the bandwagon  :airforce_wink:

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:56 pm »
She won't be launching and recovering anything if shes parked off Dun Laoghaire or anywhere else for that matter, apart from helicopters. She has to be sailing to launch and recover fixed wing aircraft so maybe they might send something ashore somewhere ?? Baldonnell ?

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:00:45 am »
She won't be launching and recovering anything if shes parked off Dun Laoghaire or anywhere else for that matter, apart from helicopters. She has to be sailing to launch and recover fixed wing aircraft so maybe they might send something ashore somewhere ?? Baldonnell ?

Eh...See my previous post Vulcan  :thumbsup:

If you remember when the JFK visited they were launching aircraft into Irish airspace long before they parked up in Dublin bay. With regards to Baldonnel , no U.S Navy fast jets will land there as there isn't an arrestor wire / Barrier in place which is the requirement for USN/USAF fast jets to land at an airfield with a runway  under a certain length.
If they send anything it will more than likely be into EIDW.