Author Topic: RAF Mona flypast rehearsal  (Read 839 times)

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
RAF Mona flypast rehearsal
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »
RAF Mona - Queens Jubilee Flypast rehearsal 15th May

I was sent this email from Richard Thomas of the V-A-S. It may be of some interest to one or two of you, I know a few do make the odd trip to North Wales, photos and all that!

Royal Air Force Valley are affording an opportunity for aviation enthusiasts throughout the Country to watch the final rehearsal for the Queens Jubilee Flypast on Tuesday 15th May 2012 as it passes overhead RAF MONA airfield at 11:00hrs.

A number of Hawks from 4 FTS/Royal Navy/100 Sqn will fly a formation ' E II R' and then formations of other fast jets and prop aircraft will be added to the flypast by Tuesday 15th.

This will be the biggest formation of aircraft ever seen over North Wales and should provide an excellent photographic opportunity OR just sit back and view the complete spectacle from a safe vantage point.

To this end the Ynys Mon Council have given permission to the RAF to use the Mona Showground car park and guests can park up and watch the flypast from thier vehicles or they can walk across to the airfield and enter an enclosure, providing a chance to get nearer to the action.

The Showground car park will open at 9:00hrs and close before the flypast is due at 11:00hrs. The formation is expected to have passed by 11:10hrs and the car park will then close by 12:30hrs. The A5 road all the way from the old Drome Garage to the Industrial Estate is marked with yellow 'no waiting' lines and Police will be vigilant on the A5 and B5109.

A number of Society members have offered to assist the RAF/MPGS in Stewarding this event.

Those guests attending the event will be asked to give kind consideration to making a donation of £5 per person; which will go to local charities.

RAF Valley/Mona will be busy each day until the 15th as they practice the formation until perfect, slot timings are 0900 to 1000 & 1400 to 1500 if required or weather permits.

Please Note that the 32 Hawks required for the formation will all head South on the 17th May to base at RNAS Yeovilton in preparation for the final full dress rehearsal over Windsor Castle the following week. Good views of the event from public locations are limited in that area so Mona will provide a great venue for enthusiasts

regards
Richard Thomas
Chairman V-A-S

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
Re: RAF Mona flypast rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:48:37 pm »
Please Note that the 32 Hawks required for the formation will all head South on the 17th May to base at RNAS Yeovilton in preparation for the final full dress rehearsal over Windsor Castle the following week.

That should make things interesting around Heathrow.

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:31 pm »
this was posted on the CAA Website a few weeks ago plus a PDF

"The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has approved a request from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to impose a Temporary Airspace Restriction around a large military flypast over Windsor on Saturday 19 May 2012 to celebrate Her Majesty the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The flypast will comprise two separate aircraft formations – nine Typhoon fighter jets open the event, followed later by a large mixed formation which will include two formations of Tucano and Hawk aircraft; The Red Arrows; and aircraft from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. In all there will be a total of 85 aircraft taking part in the flypasts."

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2105

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/64/Queens%20%20Jubillee%20Flypast%20RA(T).pdf
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:09:21 pm by Ascot 1960 »

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:39 pm »
Phew that was close! It's on the 19th!  :airforce_grin:
I'm going to the Mach Loop on the 20th so hopefully all Sqns back to normal that week.
Thought I was going to have another failed trip; Volcano's (twice), grounded aircraft fleets, national festival avoids, crop spraying and of course the backlash of the "I'm with stupid" photo.
Maybe this will be a Carlsberg trip  :thumbsup:
I suppose it will be either way  :tounge:

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile