Author Topic: New Book: Fouga Magister- An Irish Perspective  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Joemax

• View Profile
    • http://www.maxdecals.com
New Book: Fouga Magister- An Irish Perspective
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:06:07 pm »
Press Release
New Book:  Fouga Magister - An Irish Perspective by Joe Maxwell & Radu Brinzan details the history of the Fouga Magister in Irish Air Corps Service between 1975 until 1997.

The Irish Air Corps is celebrating the 90th anniversary of its foundation this year and a new book by Joe Maxwell and Radu Brinzan tells the story of the Fouga Magister jet trainer that served the Air Corps remarkably well for 24 years between 1975 and 1997. The aircraft would be well known to many as the mount of the Silver Swallows Aerobatic Display Team that thrilled crowds at air shows up and down the country and abroad for over ten years. The Silver Swallows became famous internationally when they were awarded the prestigious Lockheed Martin Cannestra trophy for the best display by an overseas team at the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford in 1997. This was an incredible achievement for a small team of instructor pilots who had to fit in practice for their routine in the evenings and at weekends.

Less well known however, is the fact that a Fouga Magister of the Katangan Air Force flown by a Belgian national carried out bombing and machine gun attacks on Irish troops serving in the Congo in 1961. This was the first occasion on which Irish troops would experience an air attack. The book describes those attacks which had a profound effect on future UN peacekeeping operations around the globe. In an ironic twist, the Irish Air Corps later purchased two of the Fouga Magisters that had been destined for Katanga but had been withheld as a result of an arms embargo to the breakaway province of the Congo. Four refurbished Fouga Magisters that had been operated by the Austrian Air Force were also purchased.

The book also sheds light on an early attempt by the Irish Government to set up an aircraft manufacturing industry by supporting foreign direct investment from French aircraft manufacturer, Henri Potez during the 1960s. The factory was built at Rathcoole just beside the Irish Air Corps base at Baldonnel for a cost of over £3 million to the tax payer. But no aircraft were ever built there. Henri Potez had the misfortune of attempting to sell the Potez 840, (a four-engine, propeller driven executive transport) to the rich and famous at the same time as Bill Lear was marketing his sleek Learjet to the same customer base. Needless to say, customers flocked to the Learjet and the Potez 840 sank without trace. The subsequent debacle that followed the closure of the factory and the loss of funds to the exchequer provided a valuable lesson to the IDA when dealing with prospective inward investors.

Granted unparalleled access to three surviving airframes, the authors have included what are considered to be the most accurate scale drawings of the Fouga ever produced in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale. Although the authors have concentrated mainly on the Irish use of the Fouga, the technical description alone should ensure that this book finds a wider international audience amongst those interested in the Fouga Magister. Comprehensively illustrated with over 160 photos, 25 drawings and three tables packed into 108 pages, the authors have produced what must be the definitive English language guide to the Fouga Magister.

Fouga Magister – An Irish Perspective goes on sale from September 7th. Price €22.
ISBN 978-0-9562624-1-7
Note to Editors
For further information contact Joe Maxwell at joe@maxdecals.com
See http://www.maxdecals.com/fougabooksample.html for sample pages.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Re: New Book: Fouga Magister- An Irish Perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:30:55 am »
Great to see another IAC book published!

Just placed my order  :airforce_cool:

Offline Blue Monday

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:23:17 am »
I was fortunate to be invited to Casement Aerodrome yesterday for the launch of this book. I picked up a copy of this book and given today's poor weather here in Galway and having a day off work, I decided to get stuck into this volume. As with the previous Max Decals book covering the history of the Irish Air Corps, this is well-researched and beautifully illustrated, this time by Radu Brinzan. The history of the design of Fouga Magister is covered as is the attack on Irish troops on UN duty in the Congo by a Katangan Fouga (a particularly interesting chapter). As always, the selection process of any aircraft for service with any air arm is a fascinating topic to read about. The other aircraft considered for purchase are covered and there are even colour side-views of two aircraft (in speculative Irish schemes) that were considered for Irish service. The Fouga in Irish Air Corps service from start to finish is covered with the chapter on the Silver Swallows display team being of particular interest. Another chapter captures the technical details of the Fouga and the book is illustrated with many photos and numerous colour side-views of the Fouga including those from Katanga, Austria as well as Ireland. A set of 1/50th scale drawings in colour are included along with a full set of 1/72 and 1/48th scale drawings. Overall, another fine book from Max Decals and one that I really enjoyed reading.  Hopefully, this isn't the last book from Joe Maxwell on the Irish Air Corps and its aircraft.

BM. :ireland:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:30:53 am by Blue Monday »

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:52:03 pm »
Recieved my copy this week.
Absolutely superb publication!

Well done to Joe and Radu!

(P.S. IMHO, it would sell like hot cakes on ebay!)

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:43:24 pm »
Must agree, an excellent publication, very interesting text and well researched. The presentation is notable with superb artwork. Well done, it will sell well and for the cost of about four pints where would you get it?
Tony K

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:11:16 pm »
I very mnch agree and endorse what Tony has said.  While the Magister as a type is well-known, its origins and design history probably are not, and these aspects are well-covered.  For modellers the close-up photos, diagrams and explanations make the book a valuable resource, even if you don't intend to represent an Irish aircraft.  I would strongly recommend the book to anyone with an interest in the Air Corps or the Fouga Magister  (or in both!).

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:01:48 pm »
Great book, well done to Joe & Radu.

Offline I Will Yeah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 10:37:02 am »
My copy arrived yesterday, an absolutely superb book.
The production values are very high and the content is excellent, I particularly liked the scale drawings.

Well done to all concerned  :applause:

Offline Joemax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »
Thanks for all the kind comments on the book. Radu and myself will be signing copies at the Cork Model Fair this Sunday 18th November at the Imperial Hotel on South mall in Cork City.

Regards,

Joe

Offline Joemax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 07:52:16 pm »
More book signings this weekend at the ALSAA Air Fair on Sunday 25th November in the Aer Lingus staff sports centre opposite Dublin Airport.

Cheers,

Joe