Author Topic: Flightfest Dublin - 15th September  (Read 12178 times)

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
Re: Flightfest Dublin - 15th September
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 11:10:27 am »
I assume that all participants will be departing and arriving from Dublin Airport and if so, it  would be worth heading over to Dublin airport on the day to capture good shots of the display aircraft rather than making the trip to the city  :thumbsup:

Depending on the aircraft, it's possible that Weston or Baldonnel may be used and some aircraft might just fly by without landing in Ireland at all.

See the Sally B is listed as departing on the 14th, so presume she'll be over-nighting in Ireland somewhere. This could be a nice little event. Not knowing Dublin that well, where would people suggest the best place to view would be? Also, are there Height restrictions over Dublin for flypasts like there are in London where the aircraft are so high that they don't make for great photos. I totally see that this event is not just for photographers so I'm not complaining, just asking, because it maybe better to go to where some are to be based.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:17:21 am by Vulcan »

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 12:20:17 pm »
Catalina have Flightfest down on their site. Arriving 14th, departing 16th. Nice.

http://catalina.cardinal-technologies.com/events.asp

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 12:31:20 pm »
The Catalina actually appears to be flying to Dublin directly from Leuchars on the 8th September
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 04:54:21 pm »
I assume that all participants will be departing and arriving from Dublin Airport and if so, it  would be worth heading over to Dublin airport on the day to capture good shots of the display aircraft rather than making the trip to the city  :thumbsup:

Depending on the aircraft, it's possible that Weston or Baldonnel may be used and some aircraft might just fly by without landing in Ireland at all.

See the Sally B is listed as departing on the 14th, so presume she'll be over-nighting in Ireland somewhere. This could be a nice little event. Not knowing Dublin that well, where would people suggest the best place to view would be? Also, are there Height restrictions over Dublin for flypasts like there are in London where the aircraft are so high that they don't make for great photos. I totally see that this event is not just for photographers so I'm not complaining, just asking, because it maybe better to go to where some are to be based.

I can't for the life of me remember where I got this information from ,but the aircraft will flypast at 5min intervals  the sensible option (I'm my opinion) would be to assemble at Dublin Airport and depart from there it woul be effectively would mean all aircraft flying a " circuit from Dublin  assuming RNY 10 would be the active runway then climbing to 1000 ft past Howth head then right turn towards the entrance to the port

As for height restrictions the only major obstical along the quays is Liberty Hall  and Samuel Becket Bridge
Also special permission would be givin on the day by the IAA to fly below 1000 but as you know it's all speculation  the Irish weather is one issue.  ???
May You Be In Heaven Half an hour before The Devil Knows Your Dead

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:40:40 pm »
One thing you need to remember is that the IAA are running this show, and they're the guys who make the rules... I'm sure whatever needs to be put in place will indeed be put in place.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »

I can't for the life of me remember where I got this information from ,but the aircraft will flypast at 5min intervals  the sensible option (I'm my opinion) would be to assemble at Dublin Airport and depart from there it woul be effectively would mean all aircraft flying a " circuit from Dublin  assuming RNY 10 would be the active runway then climbing to 1000 ft past Howth head then right turn towards the entrance to the port

As for height restrictions the only major obstical along the quays is Liberty Hall  and Samuel Becket Bridge
Also special permission would be givin on the day by the IAA to fly below 1000 but as you know it's all speculation  the Irish weather is one issue.  ???

Now I  remember  where I read the schedule  and its just what I suggested 

It quotes "Details of the event were announced today by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Naoise Ó Muirí, Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport, Leo Varadkar, IAA Chairman, Ms. Anne Nolan, and a number of dignitaries.
Over 30 aircraft will fly through the city of Dublin as part of the Gathering Ireland 2013. They will set off from Dublin Airport, into Dublin Port and up along the River Liffey, as far as the Customs House. The sustained flypast through Dublin city centre will take two hours to complete and the flights will be sequenced at five minutes intervals.

" unquote

So the overseas aircraft may be hangared in Dublin  :bowdown:

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 04:09:17 pm »
I see Vulcan XH558 has been added  the list  :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

But on the VTTS Display page it's down as 7th Sept Leuchars then 15th sept Southport with no mention of dublin so am I to be extremely chuffed or will I hold off on my enthusiastic YIIIPPEEEEEE until closer to the date   :bowdown:

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 12:34:31 am »
Southport to Dublin is about 20 minutes as the Vulcan flies and, as it is not expected to land here, it should easily be able to display at both venues.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 11:32:01 am »
Southport to Dublin is about 20 minutes as the Vulcan flies and, as it is not expected to land here, it should easily be able to display at both venues.
Or better still..........
Fly to Dublin Airport , land , Re-fuel ,display at  Dublin, then back to southport .....simples! :buttrock:

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 09:46:43 pm »
Just swiped this from the Independent .ie  homepage

It quotes

"PILOTS will be using Dublin City landmarks such as the Poolbeg chimney stacks at Ringsend to guide mammoth passenger planes down the River Liffey as part of an aviation extravaganza.

Yet it will be business as usual at Dublin Airport thanks to a carefully laid-out air traffic control blueprint as more than 30 aircraft fly over the city as part of a two-hour-long flypast.

Two air traffic controllers will exchange their usual airport tower for the balcony of the PricewaterhouseCoopers building at Spencer Dock, overlooking the Liffey, to ensure they have a bird's eye view of the event.

Director of operations, Peter Kearney, said pilots will be looking for visual points around the city, in addition to using their hi-tech equipment, as they take to the skies on Sunday, September 15, for FlightFest, which is being staged by the Irish Aviation Authority and Dublin City Council as part of The Gathering tourism initiative.

Among the 30 aircraft taking the scenic route down the River Liffey will be the historic 1940s B-17 Flying Fortress, a 1941 Catalina Flying Boat, the last flying Avro Vulcan, which was famed for its role in the 1982 Falklands War, a C130 Hercules, an Aer Lingus Airbus A330 and 1936 DH 84 Dragon, and the Etihad Airbus 340, which carries 375 passengers.

The event is expected to attract 100,000 people to the city to line the banks of the Liffey for a close-up view

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 05:15:49 pm »
The latest information I have is that the Vulcan will fly from the UK, display then fly back again, it won't be landing.

Offline joey1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »
The latest information I have is that the Vulcan will fly from the UK, display then fly back again, it won't be landing.

Thanks for the info frank   :thumbsup:

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 03:04:26 pm »
TG that ugly, smoke emitting, fuel guzzling, heap of junk with the four primus stoves at the rere is not landing at Dublin.
The only proper aeroplane is the one with a propeller.

Ok Ok I'll put out the lights and pull the door behind me as I leave!   :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »
You and your props!

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 07:30:31 am »
Both Vulcan pilots were staying at the same hotel as me at RIAT. They expressed great interest in overnighting in here. I suggested they land at Bal  :airforce_grin: