Author Topic: Luftwaffe Ju 88 shot down over Ireland during WWII  (Read 1564 times)

Offline sniper

• View Profile
Luftwaffe Ju 88 shot down over Ireland during WWII
« on: October 22, 2005, 10:59:26 am »
[Mod - Split from most exotic air force aircraft to visit ireland?]

How about a Luftwaffe Ju88 closely followed by a Spitfire Vb flown by a Polish pilot operating out of Ballyhalbert ,I think the 88 stayed due to a lot of holes in the airframe and the Spit stayed due to lack of fuel. 'pilot_rolleyes'

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 04:08:10 pm »
Sniper, I think the Ju88 stayed because it was indeed shot down, but the Spitfire and it's pilot also became casualties.The Ju88 pilot survived, but his crewmen were killed.I think the RAF aircraft originated in Wales.I'm sure Tony will generate the gen, before long.
regards
GttC

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 04:09:54 pm »
Hi Sniper,
 not quite correct.The Polish pilot was from Valley not Ballyhalbert he was injured by the  Funker Ofw. Karl Hund and received further injuries in the force landing. He died shortly after.
Tony K

Offline sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 07:49:28 pm »
Tony

I thougt the Pole was from 315 Sqn at Ballyhalbert in the July-Dec 43 period,I know they chased at leat one 88 from over Belfast so you learn something new all the time.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 09:25:09 pm »
Hi Sniper,
At the time of the incident 23 August 1942, 315 (Polish)Sqn. RAF was base at Woodvale with a detachment at Valley. 504 Sqn RAF was based at Ballyhalbert. Two Spitfires from 504 Sqn pursued the Ju88 as far as the Carlow/Kilkenny area but had to break off, no ammo left and low on fuel.They actually saw the Polish Spitfire descend for its force landing in Co Meath. Ballinderry GCI station worked that part of the interception. 315 did not go to Ballyhalbert until later.
All the best
Tony K

Offline sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 09:48:08 pm »
Thanks Tony

Another little bit of info for me,here are a couple of pics of 315 at Ballyhalbert

Tony

Offline sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:51:14 pm »
The airfield ,note the grafitti on the nissan hut Ballyf**kin 'pilot_laugh'

Offline sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 09:53:32 pm »
A mass being held in a hangar,23rd Aug 1943.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 10:05:31 pm »
Most interesting Sniper, do you by any chance know the serial number of PK-U in the air to air picture. I also notice that the second aircraft has a different colour spinner and type and the Polish flag on the starboard side.
Thanks for posting
Tony K

Offline sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 10:11:37 pm »
Sorry Tony I dont the photos were set to me from an author in Poland,there are around 40 of them covering the squadron day and visit of General Soskonowski on Aug 23rd 1943. ,I am sending a disc of the Aldergrove visit and our Baldonnal visit to Mick if you want I will send a disc of these and he can forward them to you.Strange that the incident and the Squadron day are exactly one year apart.