Author Topic: Baldonnel 'Open Day' ?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Baldonnel 'Open Day' ?
« on: October 01, 2013, 06:28:05 pm »
In July 2012 my girlfriend and I were holidaying in Switzerland and attended a Swiss Air Force 'Open Day' at Meiringen Air Base in central Switzerland.
(It was pure coincidence that we happened to be in the area on the date of the Open Day ;) )

It was an enjoyable few hours and fascinating to see the equipment which the Swiss have at their disposal, for example - their 55 x F5's and 33 x F/A 18's! (they originally ordered 100 x F5's back in 1978!). The day/tour included displays of various vehicles they use e.g. snow ploughs, fire tenders, etc and also a tour of their air traffic control tower/centre. There were approximately 200 people in attendence and we were split into groups of 50. Each group had an air force guide showing us around and explaining the workings of the various aircraft, equipment etc. We also viewed an excellent display of their german shepard guard dogs in action (my girlfriend found this part of the tour particularly fascinating). All-in-all a great way to spend a few hours and to learn about the Swiss Air Force. Attendence was free with email registration a week or two prior to the event being the only requirement.

(Meiringen Air Base itself was also fascinating - the only remaining 'alpine' air base in use by the Swiss Air Force - and because of the fact that the fighter jets are stored in 'james bond style' caverns inside the mountains!)

It has since had me thinking that (in the absence of an annual air show) why doesnt the Air Corps hold a couple of annual 'Open Days'?

Such events are much easier to organise and manage than an air show, allow interested persons to view the Air Corps' base and equipment up close, and gives the Air Corps a chance to show taxpayers what they do and how their money is being well spent.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:30:54 pm by Silver »

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
Re: Baldonnel 'Open Day' ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:22:05 am »
At a guess I'd say budgetary restrictions wouldn't allow such an event. It's one thing having a few invited guests at Baldonnel or a small tour but to open the gates to the public I'm sure would be a different ball game altogether. I may be wrong but I'm sure some sort of public liability insurance would have to be in place and this is huge money wise. Another stumbling block I suspect would be aircraft flying. Not sure if the rules apply to the DF but as soon as an aircraft takes off and does any sort of fly/by other then normal ops it becomes an Airshow and this changes the rules!

These are just my opinions , I may be wrong.

:tounge:

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Re: Baldonnel 'Open Day' ?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:41:54 pm »
I too do not know if public liability insurance would be an issue with regards to an 'Open Day'-style event?!

What I propose would be an 'invite only' event - the same as the 'open day' I attended in Switzerland,
i.e. only people who apply via email/in writing/by phone can attend. This would limit the total number of
people attending (as was the case in Meiringen Air Base last July).

Surely this would be no different that having a large group visiting the Air Corps Museum?
...which often currently happens to my knowledge.