Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Micko

• View Profile
Need Advice
« on: September 07, 2005, 09:43:17 pm »
Hey,
First time i made a post, but have been looking on for the last few months.Just wonderin if anyone could help me with the air corps cadetship. I've got the 3 honours in the leaving this year, but didnt have a third language so i'm doing french after work, to get it next year. i do alot of sport, ive a few flying lessons done in weston and am in the middle of joining the rdf. is there anything else that would give me a better chance of getting through the cadet comp next year?
Thanks
I'm workin on it

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 12:52:40 pm »
Hi there
First,read what has gone before, on these pages and other sites about the cadetships.Then I suggest you get some interview technique practise, get your CV professionally reviewed, talk to careers guidance councellors and the Defence Forces careers people about DF careers and make it your business to talk to pilots in the Don.Most of them will freely give of their advice. The French and the RDF service and some flight hours won't hurt( it's a matter of opinion about whether holding a full PPL is a good or bad thing).Definitely, you have to have some kind of sporting background.You need to show that you have a good grasp of what DF Officer life is all about and to show evidence of achievement and a willingness to learn.
regards
GttC

Offline Micko

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 10:57:19 pm »
Hey,
Cheers for the advice Gttc. I'll ring the Don and see can would be able to visit or see can i talk to one of the pilots and i'll keep gettting flying lessons.
I'm workin on it

Offline REMF

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 01:27:46 am »
Micko,
     This is probably a bit late but this year 10 Cadets were taken in and 8, yes eight of them were Graduates with more initials after their name that Douglas Bader, (You might want to look up his name !!!) Then again this was unique, normally a good leaving cert and a good interview get you on the rocky road.

Offline matt_k

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 06:01:16 pm »
Welcome to the board John.

Whether or not previous flying experience gives you an advantage in the competition is a much debated issue. Some say it does, but some say that the Air Corps prefers to train it's pilots from scratch (i.e. their way of flying), its very hard to know but I think it can't hurt to show that you have got some hours. With regard to your leaving cert, as long as you are doing a European language (french, german, spanish) then you should be okay.

Hope this has been of some help to you,

Matt_k

Offline John F

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 07:12:08 pm »
who ere going for cadetship in 2007?
John

Offline Burnett

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 08:19:06 pm »
Hi all, I went for the Air Corps cadetship last year, and at the aptitude tests we were told that under the Freedom of Information act we were entitled to feedback on how we performed in the selection process. I was just wondering has anyone applied for this information and was it any use?

Happy Xmas !
Uh, Bogey airspeed not sufficient for interception. Suggest we get out and walk...

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Need Advice
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 11:50:24 pm »
Hey Matt_K, I heard about a bloke who started a flea circus from scratch!
Micko, don't despair if you don't get into the Air Corps, over the water there's the RAF who are very ameniable to Irish lads.

Offline matt_k

• View Profile
Need Advice
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 11:17:55 pm »
But the RAF do not accept applications for pilots unless you are either British born or a British citizen. They did up until September 2004 which pissed certain people off  'banghead'  'banghead'  

You can get in most ground roles though

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Need Advice
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 04:58:30 pm »
I didn't know that Matt_K, but once in there's always opportunities to advance.....