Author Topic: PC-9's going into storage?  (Read 1936 times)

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
PC-9's going into storage?
« on: July 02, 2009, 08:22:06 pm »
Hi Guys,

Here's a quote from corsair in another thread:

There's talk of putting some of the PC9s in storage due to lack of student pilots.

How likely is this to happen?
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Fouga

Re: PC-9's going into storage?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:22:34 pm »
Disgusting if it happens, an even better reason to have NCO's flying.

Offline pym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:50:50 pm »
Hard to believe...

Was the light strike squadron re-established when the PC-9's entered service?

If not, having a unit of 2-4 PC-9's dedicated to air policing/light strike/fac/coastal patrol(?) would surely be an idea?

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:34:47 pm »
The PC9's are not going into storage. Why should they?

There is a class of students ready to start their flying training in September/October. The PC9's are on the ramp everyday, weather permitting, and fly everyday, also weather permitting.

The maintenance and ramp crews are as busy as ever, especially now the good weather and long evenings are now here.

There are other missions being carried out with PC9's in the past few months which are normally in the domain of other units. Can't say anymore about this.

There is no sign of a display team on a regular basis. Our pilots are busy with training programs, sim attacks on Army and Navy, flying other aircraft. But when they do get together, they do put together a very good display.

Offline Pink Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:22:37 am »
I suppose time will tell.Someting else doing the rounds, but not confirmed is the possibilityof two 139's going into storage.

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:04:55 pm »
Good to hear things aren't slowing up, what with the recession thing and all  :) Keep up the good work to all.

There are other missions being carried out with PC9's in the past few months which are normally in the domain of other units. Can't say anymore about this.

There is no sign of a display team on a regular basis. Our pilots are busy with training programs, sim attacks on Army and Navy, flying other aircraft. But when they do get together, they do put together a very good display.

Good to hear that the PC-9s are being put to other uses and developing new capabilities for them. A new Silver Swallows, sure when the next boom comes along, I'm sure a few quid will be found for them  ;)

Offline corsair

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:37:49 pm »
Oops, I appear to have kicked off a bit of a kerfuffle with my comment. Actually I read it in the latest 'Fly in Ireland' magazine. Who I would assume got it from a good source. So it's not my rumour. But if you haven't heard it Frank, maybe it's not so solid. The magazine also mentioned the future of the King Air is in doubt.

But to honest it makes sense.  There's bound to be cutbacks in terms of flying hours because of the lack of cadets. As someone pointed out in another forum. They don't have to be actually put away in the hangar. It just means less flying hours overall.

I have to say though. I would take Claudel Hopson's post with a pinch of salt including this.
Other missions? Other units? Fishery protection? The Garda? Troop carrying? :airforce_undecided: :airforce_lipsrsealed:

Hmm! :alien:

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 04:34:02 pm »
Corsair, you can use the whole salt cellar. I'm not in a position to elaborate any further, at the moment anyway. Anyway there isn't enough room in the pods to carry anyone. And they're a bit draughty! :stirthepot:

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 04:44:05 pm »
I have to say though. I would take Claudel Hopson's post with a pinch of salt including this.

OO Corsair, I wouldn't go down that road, no, no. :fryingpan:
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:34:44 pm »
Hi all,
Yizzer have short memories. Aircraft have been put into short(flyable) and long term storage before, in the Don, especially the Cessnas and Marchettis.The Fougas were also grounded before what was meant to be their official retirement, to save fuel funds for the GIV.It also happened that aircraft would be deliberately delayed in returning to service after overhaul or taken off duty early, for overhaul.....as regards 240, I have heard from within that it is grounded for good.What is afoot for it, in terms of disposal, I don't know.I have also heard that some sub-units will be closed, in Training Wing, until further notice and their personnel moved to other units, because of the recruitment embargo.
regards
GttC 

Offline corsair

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »
Well if it's true 240 is grounded, then there's credibility in the Fly in Ireland piece. As for the PC9 'special missions' well the imagination runs riot! :stirthepot: Whatever happens the Defence forces as a whole are going to be An Bord Snipped in due course. The Air Corps won't escape. All activities will have to be justified.

Offline Whiskey Section

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:08:25 pm »
Unbelievable -8 turbo prop trainers and there is talk of them going into storage.  Maybe the Department of Defence can lease them out to one of flying clubs in Weston.

Fouga

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 12:09:11 am »
Unbelievable -8 turbo prop trainers and there is talk of them going into storage.  Maybe the Department of Defence can lease them out to one of flying clubs in Weston.

Or get someone else to protect our Airspace.........oh wait..

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 01:20:21 pm »
Send them to the Moon?  :rotfl:
Non multi sed multa

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 05:31:35 pm »
Lads,
The storage of first-line aircraft is nothing new.AFM did an article about French A.F. Mirage storage not all that long ago.The aircraft are simply rotated in and out of flyable storage, to even out flying hours on airframes and engines and to act as attrition replacements.As far as I know, all of the NATO airforces do the same....as for allegedly special missions, even the Marchettis did those (recce pods being trialled and actually used, armed top cover during VIP visits, armed top cover during cooperation with Gardai and more mundane but essential tasks as aerial photography for the Ordnance Survey when the contracted aircraft was unavailable). I remember hearing Heli personnel sneering BFTS lads as "not operational, like us", until they were advised of what the Marchettis actually did beside generate pilots and perform at airshows.
regards
GttC