Author Topic: New AC display team?  (Read 476 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
New AC display team?
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:48:08 am »
Are there any signs of a new AC display team forming?
..or re-forming the 'Silver Swallows'?

Speaking of which, if/when a new team is put together, should they adopt a new name or retain the 'Silver Swallows' title?

I saw the RAAF 'Roulettes' Display Team (who use PC-9's) display in Oz back in 2004, and came across this postcard pic tonight which got me thinking about this topic.

Offline corsair

• View Profile
Re: New AC display team?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:03:00 pm »
There's talk of putting some of the PC9s in storage due to lack of student pilots. Never mind forming a display team.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:20:01 pm »
I keep hearing the same answer to that question over and over again... "there will be no display team"

As it is the Air Corps are hard pushed to attend air shows due to the current financial situation, I think Brian Lenihan would blow a gasket at the idea of having a dedicated display team.

Yes I know it would probably be a volunteer team flying in their spare time but it would still cost money on maintenance & fuel. As it is people are now whinging about the President using the AW139.

I'll gladly be proven wrong though  :airforce_cheesy:
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:07:32 am »
Ah well...that answers my question anyway.

Strange how the AC could operate jets (with the inherent maintenance costs, higher fuel bills, etc) in a display team in the '80's - when there was even less money in the the country - and nowadays they not even allowed to use their turboprops for the same purpose?!

Indeed many would say that an AC display team would be a great promotional tool for the country in the current economic climate.   

(Ironically, if a few PC-9's do go into storage...it may leave them free for use by any (part-time/volunteer, as was the Silver Swallows) display team to use?!)

We may live in hope I suppose! :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:14:03 am by Silver »