Author Topic: Flying Kit  (Read 1455 times)

Offline AirmanJack

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« on: January 03, 2006, 12:26:53 pm »
Does anybody know where the Air Corps get their flying kit from, I notice that they are back wearing green flying suits (US style?) Are they issued with fireproof undergarments as mostly you see them just wearing the army greent t-shirt or does it depend on what you are flying. Also do they were normal army boots when flying or is there some sort of special flying boot that they use?  Thanks....

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Flying Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:57:44 pm »
Hi AirmanJack,

Welcome to the board.

From what I've heard the Air Corps flying suits are identical to the American standard issue ones, the only difference being the Air Corps ones have epaullettes for rank markings.

They are currently changing the issue flying jacket, the heli crews wear Alpha helmets but I don't know what the exact model is and I'm unsure what model flying helmets the PC-9 crews wear, but as far as I know they are of US origin.

The flying boots are not the same ones that are issued to the Army as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Fouga

Flying Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 01:08:35 pm »
They are the same flying suit that F-16,F-15 pilots wear. So says An Cosantoir

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:04:27 pm »
Hi AJ
For years, the "boot, flying" was a highly-sought after item as they were/are better than the standard Army boot for long-term wear, as they had a thicker sole and a slightly different bootlace arrangement and were more comfortable on the foot.Only persons earning flying pay were entitled to them, but inevitably, there was abuse of the system( very irregular fliers claiming a pair ) and the Gods had a crackdown as too many pairs were appearing on building sites and not enough were available for the increasing number of aircrew.In time, the standard Army boot got better and there was less strain on the flying boot supply.In appearance, it was much like the British DMS boot.Also, pilots flying such as the Lear and GIV don't wear them for flight, for obvious reasons....Under the flying suit, most people wear kax and T-shirts...Apart from that, AC pilots(and some of the aircrew) are relentless posers and will wear flight suits, RayBans, chunky watchs, leather jackets,etc at the drop of a hat... 'pilot_grin'
regards
GttC

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 04:56:03 pm »
The Flying suits are green Gibson and Barnes Nomex ones ,as are the gloves. The PC-9 pilots helmets are Gentex models as worn by USAF pilots. Im not sure who makes the new jackets yet, but they are made from a similar material to the suit(not shiny like the old ones) and have no epaulettes, the rank is worn on velcro on the right breast.  They also have no coller(as such, they have a cuff round the neck) and have a gortex lining and removable winter lining. The boots have also been updated to an improved version of the old ones.

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
Flying Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:53:28 pm »
If it's the same as any other AF, suits are Nomex(name of the fabric, there are different suppliers) CWU-27/p and helmets Gentex HGU-55/p.
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline RMR

• View Profile
    • NONE
Flying Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 07:59:35 pm »
The suit itself is flame proof or flame retardent,my aul fella was telling me the suits he has,(the navy one and the older green one) one of them is more flame retardent than the other but he cant remember which one !!(luckily never got to test them!!) But i presume the new suit would be the same...

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 11:53:02 am »
Hi there
If the retardant quality is anything like the stuff they put on airline seat covers,then it's usefullness is gone after about 5 washes.Airline seat covers are re-treated after 5 washes.Bit pointless to wear it without anti-flash hoods and gloves, really.
regards
GttC

Offline FMolloy

• View Profile
    • http://www.cushtacsurplus.com
Flying Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 07:01:23 pm »
Nomex is inherently fire-resistant, it does not need to be treated with chemicals.
D'oh!

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 08:34:14 pm »
Airman Jack,

welcome on board.

Why this question about the flying kit?
Are you a collector?

If so I might be able to help you out.
I collect myslf and I have some doubles in my collection.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Guinness ':cool:'
Guinness is good for you

Offline alpha foxtrot 07

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 12:04:38 pm »
what do you have doubles of. 'pilot_smiley'
you're not lost until you're lost at mach 3

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 07:00:00 pm »
AF, what are you looking for?
uniforms?, patches?

Send me an e-mail off-line and see what's there to swap 'thumbsup'

Guinness is good for you

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
Flying Kit
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 07:40:16 pm »
Wouldn't be nice to see aircrews in leather "bomber" jackets with slogans - pin-ups -  squadron badges on their backs? 'buttrock'

At least for show and PR pics...
Non multi sed multa

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
Flying Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 08:07:21 am »
FiSe, have you been watchin'Top Gun and Memphis Belle lately?
 ':p'

Guinness is good for you

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
Flying Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 05:47:45 pm »
2 Guiness: I hate Top Gun, but I have a great book: Vintage Aircraft Nose Arts...
It's worth it, you can find even some irish connections in there: Irish Lassie, Olde Irish...  'applause'
Non multi sed multa