Author Topic: Madaleine O'Rourke RIP  (Read 914 times)

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Madaleine O'Rourke RIP
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:33:51 pm »
I have just received very sad news that Madaleine O'Rourke passed away. She had been ill for a while. Madaleine was a great friend to all interested in aviation and had made a valuable contribution to the recording of Irish historical and current aviation both civil and military. Sincere condolences to Colm and her daughter.
Tony K

Offline 202

• View Profile
Madaleine O'Rourke RIP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 07:59:21 am »
I would like to add to the tributes of Tony and others.  Madeline's contribution to many aspects of Irish aviation and particularly, in recent years, her series of radio documentaries, will be a valued resource for enthusiasts and students in years to come. Ar dheis De go raibh a h-anam.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Madaleine O'Rourke RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:00:21 pm »
Hello all.
I would just like to reiterate what a loss to Irish aviation's heritage has occurred.She was a committed aviation enthusiast from an age when female involvement was rare, especially at the technical level of sound and film recording.She was heavily involved with the early big airshows, like Fairyhouse and the early Don shows. She was characterised by her keeping a cool head under pressure( especially when battling some of the egos that airshows seem to generate), a deep level of understanding of the unique requirements of an airshow, a very hard worker and talented at her craft.She was active at parachuting,ballooning and microlighting (and recording same) when they were only new or undersubscribed sports. She was utterly enthusiastic about all things aviation and was never less than charming with everyone she met and moved easily with people of all ranks, title and status. She recorded Irish aviation when it was neither profitable or fashionable and had a talent for drawing the best out of her subjects.The next time you look at an archive programme about Irish aviation, look for her name because she will surely have had a hand in it. She also wrote the definitive book on Irish airshows.
This game is less pleasant for her passing.
regards
GttC   'pilot_sad'

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Madaleine O'Rourke RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 11:28:03 pm »
Thought I did not know her personally, hers was a name I instantly recognised as associated with aviation and aviation publications.

RIP.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Madaleine O'Rourke RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:59:57 pm »
Hi all
Her Funeral Mass was held at the Star of the Sea Church, Sandymount, Dublin this morning at 10 am. In a short but moving ceremony, her daughter,Marguerite spoke of her, followed by a eulogy by Maurice Cronin (Limerick Flying Club). One of her radio colleagues recited "High Flight", a poem written by a Canadian Spitfire pilot, John Gillespie Magee, which was entirely apt and very touching.No better salute for an aviator.
regards
GttC   'applause'