Author Topic: dauphin update?  (Read 835 times)

Offline warthog

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:30:51 pm »
well folks it would seem like the dauphins didn't sell,so what now? will they be put out to tender again?
realistically who's going to buy four ex military aircraft that'll be very hard to get civi rated?

time to look at that avionics update with a fresh pair of eyes!
throw a few panther engines into the equation and we've a great workhorse LUH on our hands!

Offline 202

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:44:11 pm »
A USCG Lt. told me in Washington last month that the USCG would do anything to get their hands on second hand Dauphins ...

Offline warthog

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:56:52 pm »
yup they plan to keep them in service for about another ten years or so at least so i've heard, we could have four upgraded choppers in a very short space of time when compared to the waiting lists for new types,for roughly the cost of one new machine i'd guess

the '98 cost was 1.5 million each for an avionics upgrade per dauphin,even if thats doubled in price since thats still four choppers at 3million each,twelve-fifteen million maybe for the lot at a guess,how much will one ab-139 cost us?

we could probably do it even cheaper if we when for a "grunt bus" approach and keep the avionics suite basic,use it as a pilot/troop carring training step before graduating to the 139

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 08:15:07 am »
There is plenty of interest out there, if the price is right.  Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, Argentina and the USCG for example.  Get rid of them and order 4+ AW-149's or NH-90TT's.

Offline warthog

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 10:04:27 am »
that would be great,once we find a customer for them but i'd say it's more like sell four dauphins + gazelle to use the option we have on the other two 139's, so a fleet of 6 augusta's looks likely,to get more we'll have to wait for the government to cough up more money!

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 03:38:21 pm »
Hi all
Either sell them at a knock-down rate to the USCG or sell them back to Eurocopter in exchange for parts for the new fleet.The manufacturer won't have any problem refitting them as "new" airframes and selling them on.Failing that, strip one out as a VIP airframe and use the rest for spares.Just get someone to get off his ass and make a decision.
regards
GttC

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 07:10:36 pm »
Hi all
I heard today that they have not been sold.246 is standing in the Museum.They might end up being broken up to sell as parts.
regards
GttC

Offline warthog

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 10:31:49 pm »
what a waste  'pilot_sad'

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
dauphin update?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 01:58:41 pm »
If they are not wanted, I'll take one. have some room left in my garden. ':p'
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline sealion

• View Profile
dauphin update?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:49:24 pm »
With the cost of housing these days, theyd make a nice apartment. Convert the radar screen to a tv...