Author Topic: No show at Leuchars air show  (Read 516 times)

Offline 202

• View Profile
No show at Leuchars air show
« on: September 10, 2006, 01:10:40 pm »
A flying display by an IAC Pilatus at RAF Leuchars Air Show yesterday did not materialise despite being listed on the printed programme for the day. Pilatus 262 was on view in the static park but the second aircraft intended for the flying display did not make the trip apparently because of 'other demands' that had arisen. A pity because its availability must have been confirmed to the airshow organisers as part of their compilation of the final programme. A pity too because the airshow as a top class event in perfect flying conditions.

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 02:55:54 pm »
Hi Guys,

The Air Corps started training Mexican pilots on behalf of Pilatus during the week leading up to the Beauvechain air show and this put a strain on both personnel and aircraft resources.

This affected the display flying at Beauvechain, Portrush & Leuchars.

It's a shame the Air Corps couldn't provide at least one aircraft for the flying display, the Air Corps PC-9's are regarded by most enthusiasts, and non enthusuasts for that matter, as a rare anrcraft, and are highly sought after.

I spend some time at Beauvechain chatting to the crew of the PC-9 that was there and in that time there was a constant stream of people including enthusiasts, families, air crews & media all asking for information, looking in & around the aircraft, and getting photographed with the aircraft.

To put this in context the PC-9 was parked between two Portugese Epsillons and the green snake painted Austrian PC-7 and I didn't see as much activity around them.

Anyway, back to Leuchars, I've got pictures of the PC-9 arriving, I'll post it when i get a chance to edit the pictures.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 04:30:03 pm »
Quote (Frank @ 10 Sep. 2006,05:55)
To put this in context the PC-9 was parked between two Portugese Epsillons and the green snake painted Austrian PC-7 and I didn't see as much activity around them.

That's because all the attention went to our Fouga's that were next to the PC-7 ':p'
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 04:46:40 pm »
Always trying to steal the limelight!  

True, but you did have a stand, I just used the aircraft that were positioned on either side of the PC-9 as an example.

Nice work on the Fouga's by the way.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 08:41:30 pm »
Quote (Frank @ 10 Sep. 2006,05:55)

I'm not sure that the crews of those aircraft were present at the static display but you are right - the PC-9M was also the most modern training type there and obviously of interest to crews whose forces are still using older equipment in the training role.

Offline Orion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:51:21 pm »
Quote (Frank @ 10 Sep. 2006,14:55)
Hi Guys,

The Air Corps started training Mexican pilots on behalf of Pilatus during the week leading up to the Beauvechain air show and this put a strain on both personnel and aircraft resources.

This affected the display flying at Beauvechain, Portrush & Leuchars.

It's a shame the Air Corps couldn't provide at least one aircraft for the flying display, the Air Corps PC-9's are regarded by most enthusiasts, and non enthusuasts for that matter, as a rare anrcraft, and are highly sought after.

I spend some time at Beauvechain chatting to the crew of the PC-9 that was there and in that time there was a constant stream of people including enthusiasts, families, air crews & media all asking for information, looking in & around the aircraft, and getting photographed with the aircraft.

Anyway, back to Leuchars, I've got pictures of the PC-9 arriving, I'll post it when i get a chance to edit the pictures.

Regards,

Frank.

Thanks for that Frank.

http://www.irishairpics.com/cgi-bin....;t=1279

Offline Orion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 11:08:13 pm »
Quote (202 @ 10 Sep. 2006,13:10)
A flying display by an IAC Pilatus at RAF Leuchars Air Show yesterday did not materialise despite being listed on the printed programme for the day. Pilatus 262 was on view in the static park but the second aircraft intended for the flying display did not make the trip apparently because of 'other demands' that had arisen. A pity because its availability must have been confirmed to the airshow organisers as part of their compilation of the final programme. A pity too because the airshow as a top class event in perfect flying conditions.

I couldn't agree more. The weather was superb as was the flying. I was disappointed not to see a PC9 solo display but on the other hand 262 in the static park attracted quite a bit of attention.

The RAF publish airshow participation on their web site. Perhaps www.military.ie should do the same in their PR section.