Author Topic: PC9 Air Firing  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Viper

• View Profile
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 07:14:26 pm »
I was reading in September's Irish Air Letter that live air to air firing was planned with the PC-9s this year. The article mentioned that a Learjet (31 I think), would be comming to Baldonnel for the task. Also it mentioned that some ex-RAF pilots would be comming over to act as instructors, but that's about as much as I got. Does anyone know anymore?

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 09:41:29 pm »
I had heard mention of a German civilian Learjet as the target tug and also that because of the airspace requirements the air-to-air work might be carried out well away from the general Dublin area.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 11:09:28 pm »
Hi all
With regard to the Cessnas and rocket firing, the weapons were 37mm Matras and were fired from a smaller version of the 68mm pod fitted to the Fougas and Marchettis.They were meant to be used both as explosive ordnance and as target-marker rockets, for artillery spotting.The firing kit consisted of a gunsight, braced to the top of the panel, the firing panel and the airspeed arming switch on the underside of the wing(the floppy aluminium strip.have a close look).The gunsight was basically an illuminated concentric circle and was crude.American pilots in Vietnam used the same sight, firing the same rockets, from 0-1 Bird-Dogs.Half the time, the sight was discarded and the pilots would aim by eye, with chinagraph marks on the side window to illustrate dive angles.
As for the alleged loss of airspeed, I was told by one old Don pilot that the "wash" from the departing rocket would temporarily affect the airflow over the pitot-head, hence the momentary flick of the airspeed needle.
The pods and remaining rockets were scrapped, as the pods were corroding and the rockets were time-expired and were blown up by EOD.I saw a memo to this effect in the Don before I left in '95.
The armed Cessnas will feature in a forthcoming book by Jan Forsgren and two American writers in a forthcoming book about Military Cessna 172s.
regards
GttC

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 12:14:31 am »
I hope the Learjet is given more freedom then the Cessna drouge towing! Next pass dont come in so fast, a little closer to shore, a little higher!
God bless those consdierate enemys of the state! 'pilot_grin'

Offline RMR

• View Profile
    • NONE
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 09:11:15 am »
my father told me that one time,a french guy came accross to do a demo firing matras from the cessna,some of the top brass came down to observe from the end of the airfield.My 'da and the boys got an old car from somewhere and put it on the beach as a target,they added a bit of fuel and stuff to the car for effect,The french guy came in and flittered off a salvo of rockets completely missing the car and puttin them all into the sea 'pilot_laugh'
i was way off in saying they fired once my 'aul fella' informs me that they fired on occasion over a period of 9-10 years!

Offline fatcontroler

• View Profile
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 02:04:50 pm »
your wish is my command

Offline yeehah1

• View Profile
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 04:08:23 pm »
02-10-09
Any way to get a copy of that photo and are there others from different angles??

Amazing photo. Thanks for posting

Liam
 'applause'

Offline Viper

• View Profile
PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 11:34:56 pm »
Quote (Viper @ 19 Sep. 2006,10:14)
I was reading in September's Irish Air Letter that live air to air firing was planned with the PC-9s this year. The article mentioned that a Learjet (31 I think), would be comming to Baldonnel for the task. Also it mentioned that some ex-RAF pilots would be comming over to act as instructors, but that's about as much as I got. Does anyone know anymore?

Does anyone know if the Learjet ever came over to do air-to-air work, or is planned for the future?

Offline Viper

• View Profile
Re: PC9 Air Firing
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 10:01:48 pm »
Check out the port outer pylon...

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/at%2D6b%2Dlight%2Dattack/

Always wondered if one of these could be hung off the wing (wasn't sure if there'd be enough space between control surfaces and missile), and for anyone who had the same question, well now it's answered :)

Not meant to stoke the fires of could they be turned into fighters :)

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 01:20:00 am »
What is in the photo above is a Canadian Armed Forces raytheon TII Texan or Harvard, not a Pilatus PC9M. The canopy gives it away.

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 03:19:02 pm »
Does anyone know how that effects the performance of the aircraft as all that slung under the wing will produce a lot of drag

Offline Tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 11:47:09 pm »
Additionally, does anyone know why the IAC decided to opt for just 4 hardpoints instead of 6?  And does anyone have any idea what the cost might be to add additional hardpoints and/or to upgrade to being able to use any missile systems in the future?

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 04:40:46 pm »
Our PC9's do have six hardpoints. The outer two are reserved for underwing ferry tanks or smoke generators. The effect on the aircraft of all that stuff underwing is a higher fuel burn, loss of some airspeed due to drag and a "G" limit on the airframe for manouvres.

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 10:03:08 pm »
What is in the photo above is a Canadian Armed Forces raytheon TII Texan or Harvard, not a Pilatus PC9M. The canopy gives it away.

Sorry Claudel, you caught me out there :-\ There's a few differences between the PC-9M and Texan/Harvard (not sure of all of them), but I wouldn't think there would be much required to add the capability to the PC-9s. (Hands up in advance if there's more to it than that.)

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 12:33:57 am »
The Texan has a pressurised cockpit, different canopy (two Piece), slightly different OBOGS system, US avionics suite, the fin fairing is shallower but has two underbelly ventral fins, and an extra 300 shp delivered to the prop